We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to disneyland ca from vancouver bc

Campbell River...
1 post
Save Topic
Driving to disneyland ca from vancouver bc

Looking for route with fun stuff to do on way there other citys we could go through with kids to give trip of a life time not leaving until march

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,212 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to disneyland ca from vancouver bc

HI

how much time do you have to do this trip?

cheers

cb

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,672 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to disneyland ca from vancouver bc

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Angela;

I would suggest that you post your query on the "Road Trips" forum as well. That forum is here on TA;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trip…

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,985 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to disneyland ca from vancouver bc

The amount of time you have will make a big difference. I remember doing this as a kid in a week. Three days down, one day at DL, three days home again. If you are planning this for a two week spring break trip, then you probably will find the weather isn't really going to break for you until you get into California. The Oregon Dunes are good, but not sure what the weather would be like there in March.

In addition to posting on the Road Trips forum, I would also post in the Oregon and California forums, as that is probably where you will spend time. Also, it would help to know what you are looking for: other theme parks, outdoor adventure, museums, etc.

Two stops that come to mind for me would be the Evergreen Space Museum in McMinville Oregon and the Monteray Bay Aquarium in Monteray California, but there are lots of others.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,307 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to disneyland ca from vancouver bc

After hearing back from you, will post more info as we've done this drive several times. From Vancouver to Anaheim is 24 hours of pure, solid driving.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
578 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to disneyland ca from vancouver bc

We kept traveling through Washington and Oregon with our kids when they were younger. We made our first stop in Sacramento where we went to see the fort. Both of them enjoyed the fort. They would have been 6 and 7 at the time. We then went to the Jelly Belly factory which is a big hit outside of San Francisco. Google it to get the correct town. Winchester House near San Jose. Hearst Castle along the coastal road (near San Luis Obispo), Further down towards L.A. there was a Danish town that both of our children enjoyed walking through. If you go further than Disneyland, San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park are big hits.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to disneyland ca from vancouver bc

There is also Legoland near San Diego. A ww2 aircraft carrier is docked in San Diego. You probably need 2-3 days for both Disneyland and California Adventure. There's also Knotts Berry Farm and Universal Studios.

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to disneyland ca from vancouver bc

Was interested to see this post as I will be doing this trip next summer while visiting family in Vancouver so would be interested to see any further replies. We will be driving with 2 adults and 3 teens/ twenties ( 2 girls and 1 boy age 19 - 20) and will be hoping to do the trip in 2 days each way if poss and spending 2 days there so around 7 days altogether.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,307 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to disneyland ca from vancouver bc

Hi rollergirl52. Having done this trip several times I can honestly say that I would not drive to and from Van to LA in a week.

If all you do is drive on Interstate 5 from Vancouver you will reach Redding CA well after dinner. On the second day you will spend all day driving to Disneyland and arrive in Anaheim at dinnerish. You will have seen little other than the motorway. It is a tiring drive.

You could drive down and fly back, or spend 2 weeks doing the same thing and then it would begin to make more sense.

If you have a week then I would recommend a drive along the Oregon Coast, say half way down, and back. That would be a more manageable and enjoyable trip.

If you have your heart set on LA and back in a week then I would be prepared for long driving days, lots of standing in lines at Disneyland and a long couple of days back. Pick up the Interstate Bingo games available at Walmart in the US. Fun for the road!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to disneyland ca from vancouver bc

Yes, with only a week round-trip you'd need to go all-Interstate and push hard. But it'd be a huge shame to do it that way -- the coastal drives are so scenic, and you're passing by great cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles. I'd strongly recommend either allocating more time, so you can enjoy stuff along the way, or sticking closer to Vancouver where there's plenty to see and do with much shorter drives.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,985 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to disneyland ca from vancouver bc

On a schedule like that, and with the costs of car rental, then you should look at flying. If you are looking to go to DL on the cheap and you can borrow your friends car, and you don't think you'll get to do this again, then I suppose that you need to hunker down for the long drive and tuck in and do it. If you are prepared to drive for 8 - 12 hrs a day (which my dad was quite happy to do. We had a camper, and he'd wake up in the night feeling restless and drive for an hour or so and then pull over somewhere and sleep some more) and you just want to get to DL, then its possible.

As mentioned above, probably not the most desirable way to spend your week, but its possible. For contrast, look at the cost of flying out of Bellingham or Seattle with Alaska Air and just see what it would cost to fly.