We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will I need snow boots to visit Vancouver in January?

Garca
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
will I need snow boots to visit Vancouver in January?

I'm spending the month of January/12 in Vancouver taking an ESL course. Is it very cold in the city? will I need snow boots while there?

Thank you!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: will I need snow boots to visit Vancouver in January?

Cold is a relative term:) for you I'd say yes it'll be cold.. better to have waterproof boots/shoes..as we may or may not have snow but for sure we will have rain! if we do have snow it usually only stays for a day or 2. You may want snow boots if you plan to visit Whistler or the local ski mountains but if it's a one off for being where you'll encounter snow then I'd stick to investing in a good pair of waterproof shoes/boots.. look at something made of Gortex

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
578 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will I need snow boots to visit Vancouver in January?

If it does snow, your waterproof boots will work for you. If your boots get wet, just put a plastic bag on each foot and insert inside your boot and your feet will be toasty warm and it will not matter if your boots got wet.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,822 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: will I need snow boots to visit Vancouver in January?

And an umbrella! Don't forget the umbrella!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,653 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: will I need snow boots to visit Vancouver in January?

Here is a chart of the temperatures, precipitation and snow statistics here in Vancouver in January.

www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3…

The weather is changeable here. It usually rains in January, but in some years it can snow. You could probably use good quality sneakers. Something like this would be good here in the rain. I would bring two pairs so the first pair can dry out for a full day if necessary.

kicksaholic.com/wp-content/…af1_lo_china.jpg

I would wait and see if it will snow before you think about snow boots.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: will I need snow boots to visit Vancouver in January?

We probably have a better selection of that sort of thing here anyway, so why don't you wait until you are here, and then you can pop out and pick some up if you need them.

I would hope/expect that, as part of your program, they will take you to one of the local mountains for some snow play of some sort, so I'm sure you'll need some suitable footwear for that.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,653 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: will I need snow boots to visit Vancouver in January?

If you are going to one of the Language Schools here in Vancouver, you will be able to borrow snow boots for an excursion to the mountains from another student who is not going with your group.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: will I need snow boots to visit Vancouver in January?

The weatherbase (and other) website indicates an average of 16.6 cm of snow in January. Unless you are staying in an higher elevation area (there are a few), you will usually not see any snow.

Winter weather in Vancouver is generally tricky because the temperature usually hovers a few degrees above 0C during the day and sometimes dips just below 0C at night. This means it usually rains here. Even if it does snow, it melts when it hits the grounds and does not accumulate. But often the water on the parts of the road will freeze at night, making them treacherous because they are only in spots and cannot be seen while driving.

So I say don't bother with the snowboots - they are really annoying for walking any distance anyways.

And the climate in Vancouver is not like the rest of Canada. It is much warmer here during the winter (and cooler in the summer) than other cities to the east.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: will I need snow boots to visit Vancouver in January?

Even during the great snowstorm of Dec 08/Jan 09 most people didn't wear snow boots. People either just wore rain boots or regular sneakers (like me). Just bring another pair of socks in your pockets so even if your socks get wet you can change into a pair of dry ones.

You can rent boots/skis/board from the mountain if you do decide to go skiing/snowboarding for the day.

Garca
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: will I need snow boots to visit Vancouver in January?

Thank you! All your answers are of great help! I got snow boots while in Toronto early this year (January 2010)...lots of snow there! I might take them with me and buy a proper pair of rain boots in Vancouver.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: will I need snow boots to visit Vancouver in January?

Every pair of shoes I own are waterproof. I don't own snow boots! All winter coats have Gore-Tex in them. Don't own an umbrella. A shiver runs down my back thinking about winter in Montreal!