We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver with teens

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver with teens

HI, Looks like we are headed for Vancouver for a visa run. We will have two teenagers with us. I have searched the vancouver forums for things to do in Vancouver but the most popular suggestions seem to be parks, beaches, museums, spas and bars. We will be there for 5-6 days in Winter. Suggestions please! Also suggestions for hotels for families as well. A must is free WIFI. Thanks you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,608 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver with teens

Yup - parks and beaches are a year-round activity here! Bundle up and get outside. :> Not so much in the rain, but when those clouds break, which they do, then don't hesitate to get outside and appreciate this city in all its glory.

We have three ski hills right here in the city - seriously, people go skiing after work. You pop up for a few hours of snow play and then get back in time for whatever else you have to do. And its night skiing under the lights, so you can be up there until 11 pm. If you don't downhill ski and don't feel like trying it, then you can always go XC skiing or snowshoeing, both activities are hugely popular and easy to learn. If you can walk, you can ski or snowshoe. There is also tobogganing and tubing.

For the teens, check out the Telus World of Science, including the IMAX theatre, and the HR MacMillian Space Centre and Planetarium, which does lazer light shows to music for the teens (or they did, I haven't looked lately). Both great inside activities for a cold, grey, wet day.

Edited: 12 December 2011, 20:10
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver with teens

I agree - if your teens have never tried skiing or snowboarding, they can take drop-in lessons at Cypress (cypressmountain.com/alpine-group-lessons) or Grouse Mountain (http://www.grousemountain.com/drop-in-lessons).

Have you ever been to a hockey game? It's hard to appreciate the game until you see one live, with real fans around you. Check out the Canucks calendar at http://canucks.nhl.com/club/calendar.htm (professional) or the Vancouver Giants at http://www.vancouvergiants.com/ (junior league).

My personal favourite is flying by float plane from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria, do a day trip around Victoria, and fly back the same day by helicopter. They are safe - business people and politicians use them all the time. The only problem may be the clouds and weather. Floatplanes use VFR so they can only fly during daylight and above or below clouds. The helicopter has onboard radar so they can fly in the dark and in the clouds but the wonderful view is spoiled.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver with teens

In North Vancouver: http://www.capbridge.com/

At UBC: www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/canopy-walkway

Times Square Suites

The Landis

The Blue Horizon

You'll need to check their websites for free WIFI.

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver with teens

Just been to Vancouver with teens and they loved going up Grouse Mountain in the cable car and skiing and ice skating at the top. Also the Eye of The Wind at the top of Grouse which is a wind turbine which you can go up to the top of. They also liked tubing on Cypress Mountain, roller skating and cycling in Stanley Park, boat trip across to Lonsdale Quay, boat trip to Bowen Island from Horseshoe Bay, the Space Museum and going up Harbour Point for an amazing view over the city, Granville Island with lots of good places to eat and some quirky little shops.

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver with teens

My teens also enjoyed Capilano Suspension Bridge on the way up to Grouse Mountain. Grouse actually was their favourite place and they can't wait to go back. There are lots of activiities up Grouse and we also got to see the arctic wolves in their habitat. Sadly the brown bears had already gone to sleep for the winter but we did get to stroke some reindeer !

Edited: 13 December 2011, 22:33
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver with teens

What are your teens into? What are their interests?

I grew up in Vancouver and there are many activities that I really enjoyed in my teens, and I could recommend a variety of activities for your teens, but give me a little bit of info about what they're into.

Can they cope with a stroll through a neighbourhood or a village, poking their heads into quirky stores?

Do they enjoy being physically active?

Do they like nature?

Do they like hands-on type museums?

Do they appreciate food and restaurants?

Do they like shopping for clothing?

Do they like music stores? Snowboarding/skateboard culture?

Are they girls?

Are they boys?

Are they fussy? Do they go with the flow?

Etc.

Edited: 14 December 2011, 00:47
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver with teens

Also, I should mention that the "Things to Do" section for Vancouver in TripAdvisor isn't really the ultimate list of things to do in Vancouver... it's merely the top-rated attractions and businesses based on the number of times people have rated that attraction/business positively. Hence the number of spas in the top of the rankings. I'd take those rankings with a grain of salt and wouldn't base a Vancouver itinerary around them.

Edited: 14 December 2011, 00:50
8. Re: Vancouver with teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2012, 10:17