We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving YVR night, next morning AMTRAK to Seattle, Hotels ?

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Arriving YVR night, next morning AMTRAK to Seattle, Hotels ?

I'm arriving YVR international at 8.30PM. No flights to seattle that night.

So i'm planning to take an AMTRAK train down to Seattle at 6.40AM in there morning.

Can any of you recommend a place to stay and how to get to the Pacific train station at downtown Vancouver ?

Thanks.

Decatur, GA
Level Contributor
249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving YVR night, next morning AMTRAK to Seattle, Hotels ?

don't really know about a hotel other than the West End neighborhood but wherever you stay just call the night before and set up a cab to pick you up and drop you at the train station. when we did this we got to the train station around 5:30AM in order to clear customs. we had business class tickets (worth the upgrade, imo) so we got to go through customs and board the train ahead of the coach passengers.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,759 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving YVR night, next morning AMTRAK to Seattle, Hotels ?

At that time of the morning, public transit is just waking up. It wouldn't be possible to take the skytrain at 5 to Pacific Central Station an hour ahead of your departure so you'd need to take a taxi. That would cost $10 -15 from anywhere in the downtown area.

What kind of hotel are you looking for? You could have a look at the simple but "best value in town" YWCA Hotel which is well located downtown and perhaps the shortest taxi ride to Pacific Central Station. You could have a look at the St. Regis. It's located about a block from the Canada Line's Vancouver City Center Station. You could take Canada Line in from the airport for $7.50 instead of a taxi for $35 or so. The St Regis is 3* so let us know if you want something higher up the hotel pecking order.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving YVR night, next morning AMTRAK to Seattle, Hotels ?

Getting up at the crack of dawn doesn't fit me well, especially after a flight the day before. I'd fly to Seattle at a time that suits.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,171 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving YVR night, next morning AMTRAK to Seattle, Hotels ?

I do prefer the train however if you'd consider the amtrak bus then it would pick you up in Richmond. It stops at the Delta in Richmond near YVR. Call Amtrak but the bus makes a stop in Richmond while the train doesn't. I won't dissuade you from the train as I believe its a lot nicer but giving you another choice.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving YVR night, next morning AMTRAK to Seattle, Hotels ?

Another hotel option would be the Best Western Uptown on Kingsway. The #3 Main bus leaves at 5:10AM and would only be a 5 minute ride to the train station. The taxi would also be 5 minutes and fare would be less than $10.

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/…

6. Re: Arriving YVR night, next morning AMTRAK to Seattle, Hotels ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2013, 10:21