We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing attire for Vancouver bars and night clubs

Brisbane, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
Clothing attire for Vancouver bars and night clubs

Hi all,

We heading to Vancouver in about 3 weeks time, very close now! As we are quite young (19-21), we are definitly wanting to check out the Vancouver night life. However we are a little worried about what would be the appropriate clothing given the time of year? Here in Australia, even in the middle of winter we would wear short dresses, high heels ect for a night out on the town. Do bars/clubs have cloak rooms so that you can wear your jacket over your clothes until you get there? Or is warm clothers (jeans, jackets ect) what most people choose to wear? It seems a little silly but I dont want to take up excess luggage room with 'going out clothes' if they wont be needed!

Thanks muchly

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,377 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing attire for Vancouver bars and night clubs

It's called coat check. ;) But yes, it's a cloak room staffed by somebody at the club where they'll take your jacket/coat for $3 (or $ 5 or whatever) for the night so you don't have to carry it.

Clubwear here is probably the same. People wear jeans, others wear dresses, high heels, jackets, etc.

Check out www.clubvibes.com and look at the photos of the clubs in Vancouver to see what people wear. Most people wear exactly what you'd wear in Australia, but they'll have a warm coat over top... they'll take off the coat and pay for coat check for the night while they're at the club, picking up their coat at the end of the night before they stumble home.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 22:12
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing attire for Vancouver bars and night clubs

I remember the days when I could have answered this question .......

well, sort of remember.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 22:31
vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing attire for Vancouver bars and night clubs

Fwiw, Van is a notoriously casual city

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing attire for Vancouver bars and night clubs

While its certainly fun to dress up, and people do, you'll also find plenty of people in casual clothes, so in order to minimize on the packing, I'd just take a nice shirt to wear with a pair of jeans and runners/trainers/sneakers.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,377 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing attire for Vancouver bars and night clubs

Even though people do dress casually in Vancouver, people do dress up in nightclubs... and several downtown Vancouver nightclubs (especially on Granville Street) do enforce a "no sneakers" type of dress code.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing attire for Vancouver bars and night clubs

People dress casually for most things in Vancouver but you will not see any woman in yoga pants at a club. I was on the skytrain a couple weeks back and these people were going to some party/club. The girls wore the same as in Australia, dress or top with skirt and heels. Guys wore dark jeans with dress shirts. Pretty much the same as your avatar.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing attire for Vancouver bars and night clubs

you can dress like a slob and have no problems here. dressing for the occasion is a not even in the mindset of most Vancouverites

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing attire for Vancouver bars and night clubs

All true--but if you're invited to a yacht club or a private club or a private golf club, you WILL be expected to dress appropriately. I'd throw one good outfit in your luggage.

Edited: 07 January 2012, 04:18
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothing attire for Vancouver bars and night clubs

I cannot imagine going out to a club or, in fact anywhere, "dressed like a slob" and feeling ok about it. Yes, Vancouverites have a reputation for dressing more casually than other cities but this does not apply to all situations or all people.

eener, if you want to dress up to go out, feel free. Enjoy!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothing attire for Vancouver bars and night clubs

If you go to YouTube and search Vancouver Night Life or Vancouver Night Clubs you will find video to check out the attire.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 23:24