We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YVR fees set to increase

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,599 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
YVR fees set to increase

Interesting piece in the Tyee

thetyee.ca/Opinion/…

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: YVR fees set to increase

A $5 increase for improvements to terminals, new high-speed baggage-handling system, safer, extended runways, a dedicated walkway to make it easier for international-domestic connections, is fine with me!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,103 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: YVR fees set to increase

The lefties are against anything that costs extra. A 33% increase sounds so much worse that $5 on an international ticket. I'll side with the pirate and enjoy what continues to be one of the best airports I have been in.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,599 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: YVR fees set to increase

The argument that it will simply drive people to other airports is a valid one though. And I wonder - if the original fee was supposed to be removed 10 years ago, can we safely assume that those original expansion costs have been covered? Why can they not continue to cover improvements under the existing fee structure?

Alegre - I think most people are against paying more unnecessarily, and fee increases of this sort without some examination and questioning leads to a situation where the powers at the top start to get a little crazy and think they can get away with anything anytime and the little guy is happy to open his wallet. A little bit of protest to let them know we are at our limit is a good thing.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: YVR fees set to increase

I don't have to change planes in Vancouver, you know.

Maybe I'll change planes in Calgary next time, or even better, find a non-stop somewhere.

I do hope the airport people realize they're competing with other airports and with other means of transport.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,091 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: YVR fees set to increase

>>The lefties are against anything that costs extra<< I didn't know that. :-)

A Vancouver Sun story mentioned that the fee was temporary and at one point had an end date built in: "when the fees had paid for the improvements." With 300 m more on the west runway, we should be planing (haha) the water now when landing.

At least the $5 results in value added.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: YVR fees set to increase

One never stops learning on TA Mufti ....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: YVR fees set to increase

Lefties? I lean left and I support the fee. User pay! It's not so black and white. I'm sure if you did a poll on support for the proposed tolls on the new Port Mann you would find it's not a left or right but north and south. Live in Surrey or Langley and work in Vancouver most likely against.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,103 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: YVR fees set to increase

Leftie comment is aimed at the author of the Tyee editorial and the spin he put on the levy.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: YVR fees set to increase

Thx Alegre. There's left and there's LEFT. Where the article fails is not understanding the possible economic benefits of the expansion. He has no real case since most of us remember the old airport compared to the new one and can see what these fees have done. Anyone else remember the strange long walk after an international flight down stairs and through pinkish halls to a portrait of the Queen just before baggage pick up. I remember one passenger turn to his friend and exclaimed " where the heck are we ?"

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,161 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: YVR fees set to increase

this is from YVR web

the Airport Authority is increasing the Airport Improvement Fee (AIF) from $15 to $20 beginning May 1, 2012, for passengers travelling to destinations outside of B.C. Passengers travelling within B.C. and to the Yukon will continue to pay $5. The AIF at YVR will still be among the lowest in Canada, with most other major airports collecting $25 per passenger.

from the YYC - calgary web site

Effective March 1, 2011 the Airport Improvement Fee will increase from $22 - $25 on all flights departing from Calgary International Airport.

so going thru Calgary will cost you more money !!!!