We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Longed for Holiday in Vancouver

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
104 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Re: Longed for Holiday in Vancouver

Hi, we are coming to Vancouver from Ireland, can't wait, we will be there 3 days there, 2 days in Victoria and then Vancouver 3 days. We (2 adults). At first we will be jet lagged, I am thinking Stanley Park, Gastown, and Grouse Mountain. Haven't a clue what to do in Victoria. It will be the beginning of June. Sound very clueless, but can we go watching whales one of the days what about the other ones. Wasn't really thinking of gardens, any other ideas. What are the chief differences between the two bridges, I can't work it out, I know one you pay and one you don't. Is Capilano more impressive, and how do you go on the tree trail. Any ideas for the last day. We won't have a car.

It looks like we need a guide doesn't it. Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks a million. We are getting so bogged down.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,972 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Longed for Holiday in Vancouver

LOL - you sound very excited and overwhelmed with information.

I think you can leave some of your planning until you get here and see what the weather is doing. June can be very unpredictable here and if its a lousy, rainy day, then you'll want to plan for some inside activities.

There are two suspension bridges. One (Capilano) is inside a paid attraction that has lots of different features, amenities and informative signage. That bridge is also higher and longer than the free one. The free bridge (Lynn) is in a municipal park, with natural trails and its just part of the park. So, it mostly depends on how much you want to save $20. I think both are worthwhile, I think you do get more for your money at Cap, so it just depends what is worthwhile for you.

Victoria - visit the Royal BC Museum. Its magnificent, and very interesting, with walk through exhibits. A ride on the mini ferries around the harbour is fun. A walk through Beacon Hill park to the open coast is beautiful. Or just wander the shops. Make sure to make time for afternoon tea and a visit to Roger's chocolates!

I'd leave the last day in Vancouver open. You will learn about things while you are here that you decide you want to see or do. That will give you some flexibility to do them. However, you might want to put a few things "in your back pocket". The Museum of Anthropolgy at UBC is terrific and easy to get to on transit, and then you can go for a walk through Pacific Spirit Regional Park afterwards. You could get the bus out to Horseshoe Bay and then take the ferry across to Snug Cove on Bowen Island. Or just wander down town, take in the Bill Reid Gallery and perhaps ride the sea bus across to Lonsdale Quay for lunch.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Longed for Holiday in Vancouver

There is a "Top Question" on this page commenting on the two bridges. Cap has a free shuttle to/from downtown.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: Longed for Holiday in Vancouver

Cap bridge is $29.95 for adults which I believe includes the tree top walk and the new cliff walk. It really depends what you want to experience. I can't comment on the cliff walk as it's new and I haven't seen it, but the tree top walk is underwhelming. The bridge can be a thrill if you've never seen one or walk on one like it. I just feel that $ 60.00 for two could be spent better. However if you go understand that it is a tourist attraction complete with a tacky gift shop etc.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 20:31
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re: Longed for Holiday in Vancouver

I should add if it's forest and rushing rivers you want to see , we are surrounded by it and it's free.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,972 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re: Longed for Holiday in Vancouver

Wow, its up to $30 now is it? Shows you how long its been since I was there. I have to say that some of the best forests and rushing rivers around, IMO, are in the park that surrounds the Cap Suspension Bridge attraction and it is, as said, free. Capilano River Regional Park doesn't have a 'suspension' bridge, but it does have a couple of marvellous bridges over the canyon, its just they don't have that "swing and sway" experience.

metrovancouver.org/services/parks_lscr/regio…

The Pipeline Bridge (item F on the map from the above linked website) is really something. Its very high and the canyon at that point is very rocky and winding. Other than it doesn't provide the feeling of swinging and swaying, I think its better than the paid attraction that is a bit down stream.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 21:50
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
104 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re: Longed for Holiday in Vancouver

Gosh I really am confused now about what bridge to go to. You are all so kind to contribute so much. I am trying to see it from the way it would be if I lived there just like you people that live there. Is it worth the money . Is it a real thrill walking across that marvelous bridge, will we remember it forever and feel that it was worth while. Or should I say as we would say here a ripoff for the tourists. In Ireland I can get forests and trees, not trying to sound mean, I'm sure yours are beautiful Swing and Sway sounds good but 60 dollars doesn't, maybe the lottery does.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
104 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re: Longed for Holiday in Vancouver

Have you any more ideas for our back pocket, I love the sound of your ideas. Really sound novel, I just love this planning stage. Didn't think the weather would be so unsettled it is starting to sound oh so like Ireland, I'm getting nervous. Thanks for all the help.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re: Longed for Holiday in Vancouver

We often use Frommer's free online guide books to help plan our trips as they offer suggested itineraries, printable walking routes, hotel and restaurant suggestions. You can cross reference suggestions with reviews from TA.

www.frommers.com/destinations/vancouver/

frommers.com/destinations/…

frommers.com/destinations/…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
104 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re: Longed for Holiday in Vancouver

Hi, can anybody give me a rough idea of weather in June, some say it will be quite changeable, when you say changeable are you talking t shirts, sweaters heavy jeans or light ones or warm clothes, I can imagine rain gear, that is a taken. I know you cannot predict weather but passing showers or do you get days when it rains all day in June, hops of the ground days. Again, not looking for predictions. Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,656 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Re: Longed for Holiday in Vancouver

…weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/…

Above are the weather stats for June 2011. You can change the year in order to go back as far as you like. You'll find the total is all over the place.

Ave temp that time of year is about 17C/11C, that's pretty steady, so t shirts, flip flops and shorts/capris/ light long pants would work + something if it rains. Personally, I can't stand a rainjacket with hood when it rains in the summer, just too stifling. On those warm days, I will use an umbrella.

It's the rain/sun thing that is changeable. It can rain steadily for days, it can be grey sky and threat of rain, but no rain, it can shower, it can drizzle, it can be days of sun. We don't really get mist. It can do an assortment of these things in one day and have the sun break through occasionally as well. We get hops off the ground days more in March/April and October/November.

I can't imagine you'll need sweaters and heavy jeans. But if you're anywhere near the water in the evening you might want to cover your arms with a light jacket/pashmina. Whalewatching will be colder because of the water and the wind created by the boat moving.