We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic from Yaletown

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
alberta
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
Traffic from Yaletown

Hi,

We are going to Vancouver for nationals, and are considering staying in yaletown. We will be driving to west vancouver to our venue, sometimes having to be there early morning. Google maps says its a 20 min drive, but I need to know how the traffic is from yaletown to west vancouver and which is the best way to go? Is it worth staying here? Any opinions about traffic please??

Thanks

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic from Yaletown

traffic flows in the morning are into downtown not out so it's irrelevant as to which part of downtown you stay in.. the issue will be the Lions Gate Bridge which will be one lane heading north. I'd allow 30 minutes and you should be fine.. it's not getting from yale town to the bridge that will be the problem..,, it will be the bridge.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic from Yaletown

What time is early?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic from Yaletown

Lions Gate can get heavy in traffic heading north around 7 am, before that you can usually get through quite quickly. It eases up around 8:30 am.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic from Yaletown

All traffic from downtown goes to the North Shore via the Stanley Park causeway. You don't want to drive all the way east to cross the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge, then all the way west again to Weat Van. Morning traffic is busy and usually bumper to bumper for a while. The Lions Gate Bridge has 3 lanes, in the morning 2 lanes are green for southbound traffic, 1 lane for northbound. This creates a bottleneck for northbound traffic from about 7 am to 9 am. In the afternoon the lanes are reversed, from about 3 pm to about 6:30/7:00 pm. The way the lanes are configured is controlled by bridge patrol, based on what the traffic is actually like.

Have a look at the Westin Bayshore for your needs. It's right at the entrance to Stanley Park with easy access to the causeway and easy access to the city as well. Other hotels to consider would be Times Square Suites at Denman and Robson and Coast Plaza a bit further south on Denman. All walkable to the beach, Stanley Park and any number of restaurants.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic from Yaletown

You do mean the city of West Vancouver ? Some people get confused over West Vancouver, the west side of Vancouver and the west end of Vancouver. Do you have an address of where you are going? One tip that might help is listen to 730 am radio, it's all traffic reports. So if it is the city of West Vancouver you are going to and the Lions Gate bridge has had an accident it could indeed be faster to take the Ironworkers Bridge and zip over by the upper levels highway. As a side note, you may hear some locals refer to the First Narrows ( Lions Gate Bridge ) and the Second Narrows

( Ironworkers Bridge ).

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
744 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic from Yaletown

Rust, thanks for the mention of 1st narrows & 2nd narrows. I was born on the North Shore in the mid-60's & still call it 1st narrows (and i'm part of that ilk that would never dream of calling it anything but 2nd narrows!)

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,021 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic from Yaletown

Lest We Forget- Ironworkers Memorial Second Narrows Crossing

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironworkers_Memorial_Sec…

Edited: 16 March 2012, 04:01
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic from Yaletown

Well since we are on the topic... My mother was pregnant with me and lived near the PNE when the Second Narrows Bridge collapsed during construction. She remembers that she was doing the dishes when she heard a strange noise, which turned out being the collapsing of the bridge.

alberta
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic from Yaletown

Thanks all for your input,

we are considering staying in Yaletown, as we know someone with an apartment, we will be going to Hollyburn country club everyday, sometimes having to be there at 7am, other times at 8am. Other times later

If I had to drive in heavy traffic time, what would be my approximate travel time?

Google maps says 20 min, but that obviously doesn't take traffic into consideration. I am just wondering if its worth staying there or if I should book into a hotel closer to the venue.

Thanks

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic from Yaletown

20 minutes works for 7AM arrival and not much more for 8AM arrival...maybe 30 minutes. Unless you stay in a North Vancouver Capilano Road motel you won't gain much more than 5 minutes with any other hotel, especially at 7AM. Enjoy Yaletown.