We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocky Mountaineer train ride

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chevy Chase...
Level Contributor
6 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Rocky Mountaineer train ride

We plan to take the Mountaineer train from the Rockies to Vancouver and need some advice.

1. Is the worker strike since last June over?

2. Which route is better (a) Banff to Vancouver, or (b) Jasper to Vancouver?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Edgeworth

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,923 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocky Mountaineer train ride

Banff is the better route. The dispute was never settled but new workers were hired. I've taken the train 8 times since the 'new workers' arrived and there is no difference. it was rocky last June and July when everyone was new but things have subsided a lot. I'm going next month from Jasper but the RM has promised increased commentary. Since the 'strikers' encouraged bad reviews be posted on TA you have to sort of read between the lines. I've done it 35-40 times so I feel like I have a good sense of comparison

The entire dispute was over overtime pay and sharing a room in Kamloops. The workers switched to the Teamsters Union and the RM locked everyone out and hired new staff.

Chevy Chase...
Level Contributor
6 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocky Mountaineer train ride

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. Very helpful. May I ask a couple of related questions, since you have done this many times...

(1) We also plan to spend 10 days in the Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper area, hiking mostly. Just wondering if the train trip after hiking will be too much of the same scenery.

(2) Is going west to east from Vancouver--Banff a better way (than Banff-Vancouver)?

Thanks.

Edgeworth

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,923 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rocky Mountaineer train ride

in a way yes since your going towards the mountains and the scenery gets better and better. Once you see the Rockies it gets even better. I do it in reverse (train to Vanc) and some people find it anticlimatic. The Banff route however includes lots of BC rail history and you go thru more interesting towns. The Jasper run tends to go thru Pristine wilderness however the view remains pretty much the same. I always like the Kamloops to Vanc portion which would be the same on either route.

Chevy Chase...
Level Contributor
6 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rocky Mountaineer train ride

Thanks for sharing your views. Very helpful.

Edgeworth

5. Re: Rocky Mountaineer train ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it made false or speculative claims about TripAdvisor and its staff, or it quoted or summarised private correspondence from TripAdvisor staff.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2012, 12:20
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,923 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rocky Mountaineer train ride

I will respectfully disagree. I've done the train 35 times or more. I had some great 'seasoned' veterans. Some were great and some were really marginal. The only thing bad about the dispute is the thug mentality of the picketers, most if not all of them non rocky mtnr workers hired by the Teamsters to picket the trains. I just got off the train friday and the service, commentary, and food was great. Honestly if it were terrible I'd tell you. Two yrs ago I had the most experienced, long term attendant on the RM and her attitude, service and commentary were the worst I've ever experienced. Some of the new 'workers' are at least enthusiastic and willing to serve. The commentary is all written and scripted by the RM so its virtually the same. While I can appreciate the issues involved, the union loses credibility when encouraging negative reviews by one time posters.

7. Re: Rocky Mountaineer train ride

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 May 2012, 03:05
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,148 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rocky Mountaineer train ride

Hi Edgeworth66 ~

Your question about the labour dispute at RM is a good one, and in fact does affect the travelling public. Although the comments can't get into the pros and cons of the labour dispute, it seems fair to me to provide information so that travellers to BC can make informed decisions about their proposed train travel.

A year ago, Rocky Mountaineer locked out their employees. The employees continue to be employees of RM but are locked out. Those who are doing the work are replacement workers, in the simplest of terms, although it is much more complicated than that under Labour Relations Code here. If RM operated just in BC it would be illegal to hire replacement workers. Because they cross a provincial boundary, they can follow Federal law which says they can hire replacement workers. There is no incentive for the company to bargain a collective agreement. So the dispute continues.

This issue is not so much about is the service better or worse, is the food better or worse, is the commentary better or worse. It is probably much more serious than that as it's about crossing a line. Our own lines that we stand up for, the law's lines, the picket lines, political lines. And those cannot be advised or discussed here on TA. It is fair, however, to inform the travelling public about the labour dispute so they can make their own decisions.

I am not associated with RM in anyway. I keep up by following the news and some of the Federation news feeds, and trying to be aware of labour code here in BC.

Edited: 04 May 2012, 05:42
9. Re: Rocky Mountaineer train ride

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 May 2012, 03:05
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rocky Mountaineer train ride

No, the dispute in not over. If you try to contact them about it, they will block your emails. If you post on their Facebook to ask a question, you will also be blocked. Stay away from this company.