We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney cruise to Alaska. Hotel for w/e and what to pack??!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Disney cruise to Alaska. Hotel for w/e and what to pack??!

Hi

Really hoping you lovely people can help. My family are doing an Alaskan cruise with Disney starting in Vancouver on 21 May. We are staying in Vancouver the weekend before we sail. My questions are:

1. Can anyone recommend a 4-5* hotel and does anyone know if the hotel will send our cases to the ship or do we have to take them ourselves? I have emailed Disney but not had a response yet.

2. Can anyone recommend any must do/see activities for our 4 year old twins (boy/girl)?

3. What will the weather (most likely) be like? I've absolutely no idea what to pack for either Vancouver or the cruise itself! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot in advance lovely people!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,045 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney cruise to Alaska. Hotel for w/e and what to pack??!

1) Pan Pacific is waterfront, high end and adjacent to the cruise terminal if you depart from Canada Place. panpacific.com/en/Vancouver/Overview.html…

2) Twins can use the hotel pool or visit Science World which can be accessed by SkyTrain station within a football field of The Pan Pacific. http://www.scienceworld.ca/

3) Vancouver weather is about the same as Newcastle Upon Tyne and cooler/wetter on the ship.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney cruise to Alaska. Hotel for w/e and what to pack??!

Vancouver Aquarium, located in Stanley Park very near the Pan Pacific, should be a must do for your kids.

http://www.vanaqua.org/

Add The Loden into your decision making for a hotel as well. Lovely suites (bit pricey but nice) and a London Cab to deliver you to your cruise ship (need to prebook).

theloden.com/vancouver-luxury-accommodation/…

The weather is as predictable as yours is. Bring the same as you'd expect at home and a good anorak for possible wet days and wind on the ship.

Your kids are going to have a great time as will you, especially on the ship where they can go off supervised on activities!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney cruise to Alaska. Hotel for w/e and what to pack??!

Thanks very much AlegreVancouv...and BuccaneerDave, excellent suggestions.

What do you suggest clothes wise for excursions to see whale watching and glaciers etc. Lots of layered stuff and scarves, gloves, hats etc? Might there be some nice days where we can wear t.shirts etc? I just don't want to have to buy a tonne of stuff on board as I haven't brought the right stuff!

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,402 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney cruise to Alaska. Hotel for w/e and what to pack??!

I wouldn't count on any t-shirt days. But hey, you just never know! Our temperatures right now are four degrees C lower than the average. Ridiculous! But then if you are lucky to get a t-shirt day, you could always buy some in port. They make great souvenirs anyway! Dress the kids in layers.

I am thinking that most of the days, they will be active on board the ship. They might very well be warm enough with just a t shirt in some of the "day" camps. I think Disney keeps them very busy!

Also, while it isn't a lot of fun, you can always do a load of laundry on board. Get those 3 in 1 sheets. They are fantastic for traveling! Laundry soap, fabric softener and the dryer sheet all in one.

p.s. love your name... I said that a lot when my twins were younger. They are now 22!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,042 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney cruise to Alaska. Hotel for w/e and what to pack??!

I'll be on a Alaska Cruise the week before yours so if you PM me I'll give you a weather report. I'd imagine fleece types coat with sweater and layering is always the norm. If you have a waterproof layer even better.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,301 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney cruise to Alaska. Hotel for w/e and what to pack??!

The Pan Pacific will shift your luggage for you, but FWIW, by the time you get down the elevator to the cruise ship level, you're only about 50 paces away from check in anyway. DIY would cost $0. All hotels in the downtown area are a $10-15 cab ride right to the check in area under Canada Place.

Westin Bayshore - close to Stanley Park

Hyatt Regency - close to skytrain, central

Hotel Georgia - central, close to skytrain

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney cruise to Alaska. Hotel for w/e and what to pack??!

Thanks J0an123 excellent advice! Yes, we've been on a couple of Disney cruises so far (PERFECT for the kids and us!) and I've had to sucumb to doing the laundry! You just can't get away from it can you??! 22 year old twins??! At least you still sound sane so that's encouraging! I just keep reminding myself at least I haven't got triplets!!

I think I'm getting a better idea of what to take so thanks a lot for everyone's help. X

Hotelwise, I'm determined to book today! I'll look into all of the suggestions you lovely people have made and report back on our return. We're meeting my kid bro and his girlfriend the weekend before we go so I suspect we'll just have to stay in different hotels as I think the ones mentioned above are out of his reach. I'll report back on both!

davidgmg - thanks, that's really good of you. I'll pm you when I finish this post. What a stroke of luck! You can be my insider!

MuftiMixandma... great, thanks for the info. It's just easier if the luggage is taken away from us as we always take so much there's never enough hands to control everything! The kids like to hold your hand so that only leaves one person pushing the trolley - if you can get a hold of a trolley! You usually end up carrying/pulling theire little luggage packs too so it get's awkward to say the least!

Thanks again for all you help. X

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney cruise to Alaska. Hotel for w/e and what to pack??!

I must have missed this thread in the past.

For the Alaska cruise it will be very cold on a whale watch cruise, unless you stay inboard all the time, but then you don't get to see the whales as close as from the deck, depending on what type of whale watch you are doing, but I will bet it is through the cruise line where they use 100/150 passenger vessels.

Also if you are going to Mendenhall Glacier from Juneau it will also be very cold. Any time on deck of the Wonder will also be cold due to the wind effect, but I don't know about Tracy arm as, so early in the season, I don't think that you will get very close to Sawyer Glacier due to float ice.

As is the answer anywhere in these areas - layers. Also, be prepared for rain as SE Alaska is a temperate rainforest zone. It does not rain all the time, and on our cruise in mid June a few years ago we only experienced showers in Ketchikan, but persistant rain on the first full sailing day.

Oh, and for mid June I never had one day either in Vancouver or on the cruise where I could get away with a T-shirt without a jacket or two.

Have a great trip.

p.s. You are aware that Wonder disembarks at Seattle in the US I hope and that you have obtained your ESTA clearances in advance to visit the US. You will pass through US Border Security when boarding the ship at Canada Place, Vancouver.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,402 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney cruise to Alaska. Hotel for w/e and what to pack??!

May 21st is Victoria Day in Canada.... it's a long weekend for most people, so getting your booking done asap is a good idea!

Do your twins have really cute backpacks? Not too big, but some Disney character on them? That usually gets kids wanting to carry their own!

When I was having my first ultrasound, she confirmed that there were two babies and I started to cry and my stomach started to move (I was five months along at this point and already huge). I remember her telling me to HOLD STILL, I need to make sure there isn't a third one in here. I just about died!

Anyway, hope you have a wonderful time, regardless of the weather!

10. Re: Disney cruise to Alaska. Hotel for w/e and what to pack??!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:41