We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels--Victoria and Vancouver

MLJ
Smyrna, Delaware
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels--Victoria and Vancouver

Hello Again!

I am still searching for hotels. Have made some decisions (Whistler, Tofino, Nanaimo/Parksville area). Still need suggestions for the following:

1 night stay in vicinity of Buchart Gardens so we can stop along the way in the Cowichan area on our way from Parksville and then do the Gardens next morning.What about:

Gazebo B&B, Beacon B&B, or Waddling Dog Quality Inn?

In Victoria I am down to Magnolia (which I really like the looks of) or Marriott Inner Harbor.

In Vancouver I "think" I am down to the Wedgewood or the Fairmont Waterfront. The prices for the Fairmont Waterfront are over $100 cheaper on the Travel-Tourism Vancouver site than their own site. Has anyone used this to make reservations?

Will appreciate any and all suggestions. I have spent hours and days and cannot seem to get the hotels selected!

Thanks again!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels--Victoria and Vancouver

If you are driving down from Parksville and are stopping along the way in Cowichan, then you are better off to continue driving to Victoria and stay there. Butchart Gardens is only a 20 minute drive north of Victoria. If you think of a "U" shape with the right side shorter, then Parksville is on the top of the left side, Victoria is at the bottom, and Butchart's is almost at the top of the right side.

There is a B.C. Ferry that goes from one side of the "U" to the other (across Saanich Inlet). It runs from Mill Bay, just south of Duncan, to Brentwood Bay, which is very close to Butchart Gardens (go to www.bcferries.com for schedules, etc.). There is a new, five-star resort located at the Brentwood side. It's the Brentwood Bay Lodge (www.brentwoodbaylodge.com). The only problem with the ferry is that there is only the one small ferry and if you miss it, it's probably faster to continue driving to Victoria, than wait for the next sailing.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels--Victoria and Vancouver

I wouldn't bother switching hotels in Victoria. Just pick one downtown and stay there when you arrive from up Island. The next morning it's a short 20 - 30 min drive out to Butchart Gardens!

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
364 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels--Victoria and Vancouver

HI MLJ

I would not stay at the Waddling Dog.Like the previous post stated you are far better to stay in the city.The two finalist you have selected are very good.The Magnolia is a boutique hotel and great lounge and restaurant on site and great location in the inner harbour.The Marriot is new and very nice rooms but it is a large tower type hotel and it also has a great restaurant on site and good location in the inner harbour

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels--Victoria and Vancouver

In Vancouver either of your finalists are good. The Fairmont, as the name suggests, is on the water which could be quite pleasant. The tourism site is credible. I don't think you will have any problems, and the savings are worth doing it that way.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels--Victoria and Vancouver

The Fairmont is on the Coal Harbour waterfront which, while giving you an unobstructed view of the north, it's only one of downtown Vancouver's waterfronts and not one that is particularly vibrant in the evenings. The Wedgewood is located in a much more interesting immediate neighbourhood, but the view from the hotel is non-existent. However, the beauty of Vancouver is that as long as you're outside, you're going to have a view.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels--Victoria and Vancouver

BC_Robyn: your post is a good way of stating the differences in location of the two hotels.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
476 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels--Victoria and Vancouver

Have you looked at Opus for Vancouver? Trendy and close to the action if you want nightlife. Not sure how it compares on price to the Wedge or Fairmont.

You mentioned Tofino but didn't mention a hotel. If budget allow, the Wick Inn is great.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels--Victoria and Vancouver

I didn't hear any mention in Victoria of the Grand Pacific. I thought maybe that might be an option for you from reviews I have read.

We are thinking of booking there. Any comments or suggestion on this hotel are welcome?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels--Victoria and Vancouver

Even though I live here, I've stayed at the Grand Pacific (won a contest for a two night stay, along with dinner and tickets to a jazz concert - great prize).

It's a very nice hotel. The food was excellent, the room was exceptional - the bed was one of the most comfortable I've had at a hotel. It's also close to all the Inner Harbour attractions.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels--Victoria and Vancouver

It has been about 6 years since I have stayed at the Grand Pacific, but I used to be a regular there all through the 90s. I thought it was a terrific hotel with very nice rooms. The previous poster above indicates that their standards have not changed since the last time I was there, so it is likely still very nice.