We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Translink or hop on hop off?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Translink or hop on hop off?

Hi, not long now before we travel and I'm wondering if we should purchase a hop on hop off, for our three days or just buy translink day /MuftiMixandmatch can you help again? As you know we are going to grouse mountain one day and intend to do the route you suggested.

Iv been looking at the translink system and think it may be better for us. Is it easy to operate, can you use any line and mode of transport etc. Just want to make the general sight seeing a little easier on the feet. we are staying at Rosedale on Robson. Thanks once again x

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,266 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Translink or hop on hop off?

Hi again,

The transit system is actually quite easy to use and a whole lot cheaper than the HOHO trolley. I just looked up what I said to you about getting to Grouse and Capilano and would only change one thing: get a day pass ahead of time for $9 from a convenience store, Shoppers Drug Store, London Drugs.

You can use bus tickets on busses, skytrain, Canada Line, or the Seabus. Each ticket is good for 90 minutes. On the bus, you need exact fare in coins. I know you are going to be here just before Victoria Day weekend. 7 days a week, within Vancouver a single fare is $2.50. On weekdays before 6h30, you would need $3.75 to get to/from North Vancouver, but $2.50 after 6h30 and on weekends.

If you are going to Grouse and Cap from the Rosedale, and not somewhere else, I would walk 4 blocks over to Granville St and catch the northbound #50 Waterfront Station bus. Save you a bit of walking. Just show the driver your day pass and Bob's your uncle. The bus turns east onto Cordova and you get off at the next stop (Seymour). You're right across from the old CPR Station and the walkway to the Seabus which is to be accessed inside. Once across the harbour to Lonsdale Quay, carry on with that map you already have.

You can catch a bus from almost any street, the drivers are helpful, you can transfer busses everywhere. I'd go with public transit. Less than 2 weeks now, I guess!

Mentioned in this post
Canada Line
Canada Line
82 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
North Vancouver
North Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Waterfront Station
Waterfront Station
81 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Translink or hop on hop off?

Oh thanks for that! Do you mean we can get a day pass the night before we go to grouse? And use that for there and back for only $9 each? Then the other 2 days buy a day pass to just get on and off bus as we please? Thanks so much. We set off on Thurs:) to Calgary!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,243 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Translink or hop on hop off?

You will see more from transit but learn more from a day on ho-ho. There is a free shuttle bus to Cap Bridge from both downtown and north terminus of the SeaBus.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,266 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Translink or hop on hop off?

Yes, you buy the day pass(es) in advance, then "validate" it by dipping it into the fare box slot on the bus the first time you use it, or in the validating machine on the skytrain platform. A day pass is good until "last bus," which is generally after midnight. $9 each. Get on and off any transit as you please. Cash or credit card.

www.flickr.com/photos/yegeoff/4876904957/ <<< day pass

www.flickr.com/photos/viriyincy/4073879513/ <<< fare box on bus

translink.ca/en/…Paying-Your-Fare.aspx <<<< skytrain ticket validator

Edited: 05 May 2012, 17:45
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Translink or hop on hop off?

Thanks once again for yr info x

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,810 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Translink or hop on hop off?

The daypasses are a great deal if you are going to be taking 3 or more trips during the day. Buying what you need ahead of time is very convenient. You just validate them when you board.

Agree that the HOHO buses do offer a value added experience which allow you to get a great overview of a new city and provide you with good commentary that helps you to know what you are looking at. I never used to do things like that, but did one in San Diego a few years ago and realized that they do have their merits, so it depends on what you want.

However, if you have a plan and are comfortable with transit, then you'll be fine with that.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Translink or hop on hop off?

They're two completely different experiences. Here's my quick overview...

Hop On Hop Off Pros:

- it's a narrated tour (with either live or recorded commentary, depending on the company)

- the stops are all conveniently located at downtown tourist attractions

- you don't have to plan the route

- the experience is designed for visitors in mind

Hop On Hop Off Cons:

- the buses stop running by early evening

- they only do a loop of the downtown Vancouver peninsula which is just one small part of Vancouver and the part that you can easily walk around

- Walking can sometimes is faster than waiting for the next bus

- Reviews are mixed

- it's pricier

Translink Pros:

- you can use your Translink day pass all day until approximately 1:45am

- you can explore everywhere in Vancouver and the surounding suburbs: Richmond, North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Langley, New Westminster, Delta, etc.

- you can use the SeaBus, the regular city bus, the SkyTrain and Canada Line

- it's cheap

- it's fast and frequent

Translink Cons:

- It's not narrated

- You have to figure out your own routes

Edited: 11 May 2012, 07:54
Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
British Columbia, Canada
North Vancouver
North Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
West Vancouver
West Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Burnaby
Burnaby
British Columbia, Canada
Surrey
Surrey
British Columbia, Canada
Langley
Langley
British Columbia, Canada
New Westminster
New Westminster
British Columbia, Canada
Delta
Delta
British Columbia, Canada
Canada Line
Canada Line
82 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
8. Re: Translink or hop on hop off?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 17:15