We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great 2 Star Hotel Recommendations in Downtown BC

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Great 2 Star Hotel Recommendations in Downtown BC

Hello. In the past, I've always managed to stay in 3 star hotels but with budget constraints for this trip, thought I would downgrade to a 2 star but with great trepidation. I am not a snob by all means and don't really know the "big" difference between 2 stars and 3, other than 2 is most likely less expensive. Could it be that the hotels are shabbier? I hope not.

That said, can any recommend really good 2 stars that are centrally located, very clean, comfortable and most of all, SAFE.

Thank you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great 2 Star Hotel Recommendations in Downtown BC

2 Star hotels that are great? I really don't think there is such a thing. I would stick to 3 star and up

2. Re: Great 2 Star Hotel Recommendations in Downtown BC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 June 2012, 14:31
Edited: 17 June 2012, 14:31
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,359 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great 2 Star Hotel Recommendations in Downtown BC

I think what you'll find is the main difference is location - you'll have to work harder to get from your accommodations to see the city and environs. They also tend to be in seedier neighbourhoods, so if you find one that is close in to the city, then I would be very suspect about the safety factor (although, to be honest, I think there is a difference between "safe" and "unpleasant," at least in this city. I don't know that there is a significant difference in the rates of violent crime (as opposed to petty theft and property crime, which I'm sure would be much higher) in the neighbourhoods that make you uncomfortable vs the posh neighbourhoods. These days, it seems to be the gangsters who have the money and live in the high-end areas and us honest, working stiffs in the run down areas. ;>)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,359 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great 2 Star Hotel Recommendations in Downtown BC

Why don't you let us know what you are looking at and we can advise you about the transportation and atmosphere in the neighbourhoods.

Also be sure to look at some of the surrounding areas for deals - North Vancouver, Burnaby and Richmond all have pretty good access to the city and may have some decent places at a lower price.

Edited: 17 June 2012, 15:27
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,359 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great 2 Star Hotel Recommendations in Downtown BC

EG - http://www.bestwesterncapilano.com/rooms.html

Which is showing $102 per night on their website right now.

Edited: 17 June 2012, 15:29
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great 2 Star Hotel Recommendations in Downtown BC

Doubt if some of the old hotel conversions such as the downtown Howard Johnston or two Ramadas would rate more than 2 stars. Nor would the Riviera, Greenbriar, Barclay or Tropicana. These last four are well located on Robson Street but older and light on amenities. Any are safe enough by location.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Great 2 Star Hotel Recommendations in Downtown BC

http://www.buchanhotel.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great 2 Star Hotel Recommendations in Downtown BC

Not sure when you are coming or what your actual budget is, however, the YWCA Hotel gets good mention on this forum as a budget option -

http://www.ywcahotel.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,245 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great 2 Star Hotel Recommendations in Downtown BC

Nemor ~

Did you not like the looks of the Blue Horizon and the Y that were mentioned on your other thread? In Vancouver, you are not going to like most of the 2 * hotels. Hotels are more expensive here in general.

http://tinyurl.com/cyb7thy

If you click on the above link, you will find a list of hotels, filtered for under $175 a night. This means "starting from $175." and probably includes off season rates, so be prepared for prices in high season. Here is my take on some of them:

Buchan Hotel, small, in the West End of Vancouver, close to Robson and Denman, short walk to Stanley Park, plenty of shops, coffee shops, restos on Denman and Robson.

Ramada Ltd, on Pender St, central city, and central to public transit

The Victorian, just around the corner from the Ramada Ltd.

Best Western Plus Uptown, located just out of downtown but on a very good #19 Stanley Park bus line for getting downtown. Main St is just a block away with a fair number of good, funky restaurants. At Main and 15th for example, there is Burgoo, great tastes.

Coast Vancouver AirportVancouver Airport, is in south Vancouver, a very short bus ride to Canada Line at Marine and Cambie, a Safeway within 6 blocks and the nice Cravings Restaurant within 3 blocks.

Holiday Inn Express, is almost on the border of Vancouver and Burnaby. One 20 minute bus ride away. Residential area, close to the PNE and Playland. Not sure about restos in that area.

Have a look at some of the hotels listed in the link above. But PLEASE post to ask about any of those you might be considering.

I would encourage you to look again at the YWCA Hotel.

Edited: 17 June 2012, 21:14
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,658 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great 2 Star Hotel Recommendations in Downtown BC

Hi

you may want to try Hotwire or Priceline if you are on a buget. There are lots of sites that show how to use or bid on these sites.

One of the sites is showing a 4* downtown west end for $125.