We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BC Liquor Stores

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
BC Liquor Stores

I was on the website for BC Liquor Stores and was trying to locate store hours. What time do they generally open on a Monday? I am looking at the one close to Pan Pacific.

Thank you

Prince George...
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: BC Liquor Stores

Liquor is sold in rural areas in what are called Rural Agency Stores. They charge similar prices to government stores and can charge a fee if the product is chilled. They are supposed to be within a certain percentage of gov't prices, but some do jack up the prices.

And BC is not alone in North America in having the highest prices. In general, BC prices are comparable with all other provinces. In return for high prices, we get lower cost health and medical insurance.

So there is a reason for those high Canadian prices.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: BC Liquor Stores

I recently saw a bottle of wine in a BC convenience liquor store for $15 - the same kind I bought in Arizona at Walmart for under $5.

And Frd1800 is right; we may pay out for taxes, but we get the benefit of affordable medical in return compared to the USA.

Apples and oranges.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: BC Liquor Stores

Not true. Medical is paid by a combination of you, your employer and the government. Our booze is just one tax that goes into general revenue and of course some of that goes to the health system. To say our booze tax supports our medical system is incorrect. If they lowered the booze tax something else would go up. Maybe income tax or sales tax.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: BC Liquor Stores

Alegre: That's exactly the point. If our liquor taxes would drop to be closer to those in the US, something else would have to go up. Might well be your your medical (MSP) premium, bringing that closer to those in the US.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 20:55
Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: BC Liquor Stores

Yeah and if I want to beef about medical expenses and know what they really cost then at least I could see them and not be faced with the ridiculous argument that we have to pay high booze prices because we want 'free medical'!!

If we allegedly hide our medical costs in other services then how can we possibly control them or even have a meaningful discussion about the cost of anything in this country?

26. Re: BC Liquor Stores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 20:45