We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Is the American Dollar accepted in Vancouver BC? If not is it best to convery USD to CAD before leaving home or just use a credit card?

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,631 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

You're in Canada so of course use Canadian Dollars for cash purchases.

Exchanging your USDs to CADs before you leave home will (almost) invariably be a rip-off... US Banks are usually in the dark ages regarding foreign exchange. In any case lots of places in Vancouver to easily exchange your USDs.

Most Credit/Debit Cards work fine... some will charge a foreign transaction fee so if using a Debit Card taking out larger lump sums is more economical than taking out multiple smaller sums.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,631 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154943-i81-k39311…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154922-i80-k37959…

Cheers,

Terry

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,871 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

Some vendors accept USD sometimes at a discount. Some folks are offended. If you want to avoid being declined or risking creating any offence, then use a credit card or get Canadian cash. There are answers to where and why in top questions on the right of this page under "money".

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Hello iwannabeach,

Please do not consider using U.S. currency in Canada or any other country-it's just not a polite thing to do to the host country. I'm assuming you're driving---as soon as you cross the border at peach arch, look for a building on the right--kind of a welcome center but it also contains a cash-converter office----you can convert your U.S. cash for Can cash there-no extra service fee is involved----quick and easy. And, AllegreV gave good advice about using your cards for cash just for large quantities, as there will be a fee for conversion once you get your bill-----and that includes gasoline also.

All that aside, enjoy your trip---Vancouver is a beautiful city.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,076 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

Hi iwannabeach;

When a Canadian business accepts US cash it is actually a hassle for them, as they will have to pay to exchange it at their bank.

To be respectful to your host country, when in Rome...

Many businesses will accept American currency as a courtesy to American tourists. Businesses that choose to accept US dollars set their own exchange rate, so you may find the rate different from store to store, and the rate will NOT be in your favour. You will receive your change in Canadian funds. Coins, as a general rule, are accepted at face value…at par.

Automated equipment, i.e. vending machines, public transit machines, parking meters, etc - basically anything where you insert coins / bills... will only accept Canadian currency.

Most places will take credit cards, however there may be fees over and above the exchange rate charged by the credit card issuer. Some credit cards have a Foreign Usage Fee tacked on for usage outside of the issuing country. Check with your card issuer for exact details.

You could always use your bank card to withdraw money from an ATM. Check with your bank to find which Canadian banks they have an agreement with and then utilize that Canadian bank’s ATM for the fewest / cheapest fees & surcharges.

For some money saving tips, have a look at the traveller article “Canada – Banks & Money” here on TA.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g153339-s601/Canada:Ba…

Best Regards

6. Re: Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 June 2012, 21:05
Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

Sam, I needed a giggle this morning-thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,234 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money

OE ~ "peach arch" - not too shabby in the laugh department yourself!

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money

;0) haha, Mufti, my eyes are getting old there---oops :)

Edited: 28 June 2012, 14:37
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money

I am still waiting to see a forum post in any destination asking if Canadian dollars are accepted in shops ect in a foreign country :-)