We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer...

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer...

I'm visiting Vancouver in August (2012) with family and am interested in how easy it is to get around? I'm staying on 'Horse Shoe Bay' (booked by a relative) and I'm really hoping that it's close to places of interest and if not, how near to, and how easy to use is local transport? I'm interested in a wide range of things and will happily try anything, but my parents aren't as adventurous and I want to be able to 'escape' sometimes...Are there any places that anybody can reccomend? Or any ferry trips that are worth taking?

Much appreciated...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,608 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer...

Yikes. How did you end up in Horseshoe Bay? Ok, its not all bad, but are you committed to that or can you change it? What was the relative's rational for going out there?

The good things about Horseshoe Bay:

-- close to the ferries for getting to pretty spots like Bowen Island, the Sunshine Coast and Central Vancouver Island

-- cute and scenic location

-- served by transit to get into Vancouver.

The bad things:

-- quite a long way from the main attractions of the region, particularly if you are trying to get around by bus.

-- very limited services in Horseshoe Bay for things like restaurants and shops, very little (if anything) in the way of entertainment.

-- particularly inconvenient if you plan to do any evening activities in Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer...

Hi MarkyHarky ~

I will join V67 in the Yikes department. You will be about 55 minutes by #250 Vancouver bus (milk run) or about 40 minutes by #257 Vancouver Express bus, both to/from the center of town. The West Vancouver bus system is less convenient than that of Vancouver. Here is a map of the bus run from West Van to downtown Vancouver.

http://goo.gl/maps/B2CW

Here's some info for the busses with regard to Horseshoe Bay. Didn't check the Sunday service though.

#250 bus: first Ebound bus @ 6h03 am; last Wbound bus @ 12h10 pm

#257 bus: first Ebound bus @ 6h10 am; last Wbound bus @ 8h06 pm

Horseshoe Bay is quite cute, with a park along the water's edge. It's generally quite busy with the 3 ferries coming and going as well as chartered and private boats going back and forth. And there are 3 reasonably decent restaurants there, along with the usual fast food outlets.

I would suggest you look into moving into the downtown core or the west end of Vancouver. Can't make reasonable suggestions without know the number in your group. So, let's hear if your accommodation is written in stone as well. Then we can advise you of what's possible to do.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer...

I agree with V67 and Mufti. Horseshoe bay is pretty far from other attractions.

Are you able to rent a car for your visit? If so, then it wouldn't be so bad. You would have to pay for parking at most attractions and driving through downtown isn't the easiest with one-way streets and construction.

If you want to go downtown but not want to drive, maybe you can drive Lonsdale Quay and park there for the day (for a fee), then take the Seabus (part of public transit) to Downtown. This is relatively easy. Once downtown, you could take transit to Stanley Park, or just walk around Downtown.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer...

I think it really depends on what you consider "places of interest". It is a great location if you want hiking and recreation at Whistler or the local mountains or if you want to travel to the sunshine coast, day trip to Bowen Island. If you want to visit the tourist "places of interest" in Vancouver, that's another story. You might want to consider renting a car. You might also go to google earth to get an idea of where you will be.

There is a ferry that goes from Bowen Island to Granville Island. I don't know if that would be easier (going to Bowen and then the ferry) than trying to bus it. Might be a convoluted way to get into town.

eblaunch.com/bowen-island-ferry-routes-sched…

Edited: 13 July 2012, 17:43
5. Re: First Timer...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 05:47