We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Grand Pacific or Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort...

Idaho
6 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Grand Pacific or Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort...

My husband and I are going to Victoria for our anniversary and are trying to decide between either the Hotel Grand Pacific or Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort and Spa. Any suggestions or comments? My sister and bro-in-law stayed at the Delta and loved it, but the Grand Pacific seems closer to the "action" and appears to be just as nice. They did say that there was a free bus ride to/from town at the Delta. They also ate at a hole-in-the-wall breakfast place called Maggies or Emilies or something like that, but not sure what the name was. Any help?

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Grand Pacific or Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort...

You'll get more replies if you re-post this to the Victoria forum, but here's what I can tell you.

The Ocean Point Resort is on the edge of the inner harbour, just across the Johnson Street Bridge. It's maybe a 5 minute walk from the action. The Grand Pacific is on the other end of the inner harbour... probably a 20 minute walk apart from each other. As for the restaurant... no Emilies or Maggies, but there is a John's Place which is good for breakfast. It's at 723 Pandora Ave and you can walk to it from the OPR easily. Just across the bridge and over one street to your left. It's up a few blocks on the left hand side heading into downtown.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Grand Pacific or Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort...

I have stayed at the Grand Pacific a number of times--it is my hotel of choice in Victoria. You are right in noting that it is a bit closer to the action. From the higher floors, one gets either a view of the Olympic Mtns. or the inner harbour: no bad views. The Ocean Point seems very nice, however, but I prefer to be closer to the waterfront along Dallas Road--a short walk from the GP(some beautiful parkland and walks along there). Another option is the Laurel Point Inn, which is not far from the Grand Pacific. TA reviewers (search in the box above left) note that the new wing is the nice one. The location is very very nice, with great views of the harbour.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Grand Pacific or Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort...

The Ocean Point is a beautiful hotel and has the advantage of views accross the inner harbour of the downtown area- Empress Hotel and Parliament Buildings etc. It is a very short walk to the inner harbour from the hotel. As a matter of fact, when I worked in downtown Victoria a favorite lunchtime walk for me was to cross the Johnston Street Bridge and follow the absolutely beautiful "Westsong Walkway" which meanders right in front of the Ocean Point. My sister was married there and spend her honeymoon night there and loved ever minute of it.

You can also take the cute little harbour ferry from a stop just outside the hotel. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.harbourferry.com/schedule.htm

Another funky place for breakfast - you will probably have to share a table- nice if you want to meet locals- is the Dutch Bakery and Coffee Shop on Fort Street. It is a Victoria institution and busy for breakfast and lunch. Not expensive and very popular with mostly local people. Fabulous European style pastries too!

John's Place has consistantly been rated best place for breakfast in Victoria. On weekends you will have to line up outside.

Enjoy!

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Grand Pacific or Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort...

Hi Tfid

I have stayed at both properties nd i would give the edge to Grand Pacific and generally I like Delta hotels.I think it is in a better (more convenient) location and the rooms are nicer (better linens and beds)and overall it is a little more upscale.Great place to stay in the harbour.Have a great trip to Victoria

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Grand Pacific or Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort...

I'll second the vote for the Dutch Bakery: excellent.