We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safest, most secure Vancouver airport parking (long term)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safest, most secure Vancouver airport parking (long term)

I've read the advice here on various airport (YVR) long-term parking services. Thank you! My questions are:

1. Which of these services are the most safe and secure from break-ins? Do they all have security guards/cameras?

2. Do any parking services accept responsibility for any damages/theft should a break-in occur?

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,799 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safest, most secure Vancouver airport parking (long term)

i used this one for 2 weeks with no issues - check out the coupon on the right side. yvr.ca/en/…longtermlot.aspx

and, if you can find a parking lot that will accept responsibility for break ins please let us know!!! Otherwise leave absolutely nothing in the car - store it in the trunk - open ashtrays etc to show there is nothing there,

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safest, most secure Vancouver airport parking (long term)

I've parked at the long term lot (I think it's changed since then). I like parking where I can keep my keys and someone isn't going to be moving/driving my car.

L4

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,373 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safest, most secure Vancouver airport parking (long term)

I've used Park 'n' Fly at Vancouver Airport. The car is behind secure fencing. Not had a problem.

www.parknfly.ca/vancouver/en/vancouver.aspx

Make sure you look for the discount coupon to hand over when you pick up your car at the end of your trip.

I can't think of any parking lot anywhere that will take responsibility for your question #2.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,918 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safest, most secure Vancouver airport parking (long term)

I've used YVR long term parking many times without a problem. I know they used to have some sort of security patrol because they once left a note on our car about us not removing our garage door opener while the car was parked there!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Safest, most secure Vancouver airport parking (long term)

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll be sure to open all the storage areas to show that there's nothing of value in the car.

Traveller47, here in crime-ridden Redmond, WA, police warn people who use the Park and Ride lots to remove every scrap of paper with a home address from the car (mail envelopes, registration papers, auto service records, etc.), and also to remove the garage door opener. I guess with both the home address and the garage door opener, thieves could clean out your entire home before you returned from your trip. Ingenious, aren't they?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,918 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safest, most secure Vancouver airport parking (long term)

The garage door opener is an issue for some people for sure.. for us our garage isn't attached to the house and has nothing in it but the car when we're home! The car registration is always a conundrum for me.. you have to have it in the car if you're in an accident or stopped but it has so much info on it and you're often warned not to leave it in the car!!! Anyway the two options at YVR , park n Fly or YVR long term both seem to be pretty good. YVR also has a coupn ..lookk on the YVR website they also have an AAA/CAA discount.

have you thought about taking the new BOLT bus up to yvr instead of paying for parking?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Safest, most secure Vancouver airport parking (long term)

I'm looking into the Bolt Bus now. It looks like a reasonable option with two caveats:

1. It doesn't stop at the airport. It arrives in downtown Vancouver at Station Street (inside Pacific Central Station). Would there be plenty of taxis available at Pacific Central Station on Christmas Eve? I'm not familiar with Vancouver at all. I'd hate to miss my international flight because I couldn't find a taxi to the airport.

2. Bolt Bus may not run on Christmas Eve. I'll look into that.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,586 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Safest, most secure Vancouver airport parking (long term)

Always lots of taxis around central transportation points and Xmas doesn't matter since most drivers aren't Christian.

You can easily take public transit to the airport.

http://www.translink.ca/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Safest, most secure Vancouver airport parking (long term)

That's great to hear. Thank you, SamSalmon.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,373 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safest, most secure Vancouver airport parking (long term)

There is also Quick Shuttle

http://www.quickcoach.com/

If you're travelling Christmas Eve, you may be hooped for a number of services. Many places shut down anytime after noon, and many people will already be at their destinations. It's really tough to call that one for availability.

And yes, Pacific Central Station is the station for Greyhound, Amtrak, Bolt Bus, Pacific Coach Lines. and VIA Rail. There will be a taxi queue outside, but Christmas Eve will definitely be a quiet time. PCS is about 35 minutes by taxi from the airport.

You could consider taking the Skytrain from the station just a short walk across from the front of PCS down to Waterfront (7 min) and transfer to Canada Line at Waterfront to ride to the airport (26 min.)

Edit: I agree with the point Sam makes, but it really comes down to company policy.

Edited: 23 July 2012, 21:03