We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Neighborhood is best for a visit?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which Neighborhood is best for a visit?

I am trying to decide in which neighborhood to stay for a 4 day visit this summer. I will be visiting the end of July and want to see the Fireworks competition - - which I believe is done over English Bay. I plan on doing the normal Vancouver tourist type things while in town. I will have a car, but like to walk as much as possible.

I am leaning toward a staying at B&B in the Westend. Is the Westend the place to be or should I look to another neighborhood?

Mentioned in this post
English Bay
English Bay
2,415 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Lotus Land Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Power Pedal Tours Vancouver
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours
Numinous Travels
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Vancouver by Locals
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Neighborhood is best for a visit?

The West End is definitely the place to be. I doubt you'll even need your car as you're within walking distance to all of the attractions (ie: Stanley Park, English Bay, the ferries to Kitsilano and Granville Island, Yaletown, Gastown, Robson Street, etc).

The West End is a very vibrant neighbourhood - it'll give you a real feel for how locals live. By late July, the area will have a really lively vibe!

Wikipedia has a great little blurb on the West End:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_End%2C_Vancouver

Here are some photos: http://www.seethewestend.com

Mentioned in this post
English Bay
English Bay
2,415 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Neighborhood is best for a visit?

BC Robyn - Thanks for the reply.

Any thoughts on which of these two B& Bs has the better location: the O Canada House (1114 Barclay Street)

or the West End Guest House (1362 Haro St.).

I'm of the impression that the West End Guest House well within the Westend while the Canada House is closer to downtown.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Neighborhood is best for a visit?

I would be ripping it up in Yaletown. 4 or 5 hotels in that area, hip bars, cool shops and CQ (cutness quotient) through the roof. Try the Opus Hotel, Georgian Court, Rosedale on Robson, Hampton Inn and Suites, etc.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Neighborhood is best for a visit?

I agree with puffpuff.

Yaletown all the way

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Neighborhood is best for a visit?

The West End is really just a part of downtown, it's just the older residential part of downtown... lots of leafy green gardens and beach access at the perimeter. There's not much office space in the West End which makes it more of a "happening" atmosphere, so to speak.

BTW, Yaletown is also fun... it's just east of the West End in the south-east corner. It's much smaller though and there's only one real hotel within the heart of the area (the Opus). But anyhow...

Haro Street is one block south of Robson Street, which is very busy with pedestrians - lots of shops and restaurants. The 1300 block of Robson has a lot of hotels on it. The blocks are tiny, so you're just going to be the street behind some big hotel towers.

Barclay Street is a few streets further back from Robson. There's Barclay Square with a lot of old heritage homes. You don't even feel like you're in downtown Vancouver anymore.

Either place is honestly fine... you could walk between the two in under 10 minutes.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Neighborhood is best for a visit?

I'd stay in Kits if you want to stay in a 'neighbourhood' as opposed to downtown. Westend, is more downtown, so transport etc better although links to kits are good.

enjoy!