Hi! We´re a family - 3 adults and one 10-y-o boy - starting to plan our upcoming trip to Vancouver and Whistler. We´ll arrive in Vancouver, after a long flight from Brazil, on Dec 27. We´ll stay in the city until Dec 30, when we´ll take a bus or shuttle up to Whistler, where we´ll spend NYE and stay until Jan 4.
As usual, we started researching things to do in Vancouver and came up with a list that would probably take us 3 weeks to do, rather than the 3 days that we actually have... Anyway, I would like to share with you the things we have come up with, and would appreciate any thoughts on which ones are worth our time and money, how much time we should allocate for each one, and which ones are feasible in winter (it´s so difficult to find info on touring Vancouver with cold weather!). Here we go:
- Granville Island and Public Market.
- Stanley Park. We´re especially interested in the Aquarium. Son is a big sealife fan, so we´ll probably spend 3 or 4 hours there (we want to take the beluga backstage tour).
- Christmas lights: we can´t decide between Stanley Park and VanDusen Botanical Garden. Which one is better? How do they compare to each other? Should we do both?
- Seaplane tour: we´re dying to see the glaciers and lakes, but not sure if it´s worth our time and money, and if it´s feasible in winter.
- Outdoor program: we were thinking of either Capilano Bridge/Grouse Mountain, or Lynn Canyon. We love being outdoors and like to trek/hike. However, considering Whistler is our next stop, and being winter, we´re not sure if it´s worthwhile. The suspension bridges are very appealing to us, though... Maybe only trekking and crossing the bridge, and skipping Grouse Mountain?
- Hockey game: will there be any matches on the last days of 2012?
- Museum: Vancouver Art Gallery, Museum of Anthropology, or any other that can be rated as not to be missed.
We don´t intend to rent a car in Vancouver. If possible, we want to do everything either by public transportation or taxi. We live in Brazil, so we´re a bit concerned about driving in cold weather.
Well, we´ll be looking forward to your inputs on our itinerary. Thanks a lot in advance!