We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Sale for 2013

bristol
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Flight Sale for 2013

We are off to Canada at the end of May next year and am wondering if anyone know when flights from the UK might be in a "sale" Anyone know when Virgin, BA or Air Canada announce their sales. Thanks

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Sale for 2013

As Air Passenger duty is c50% of the ticket price, any 'sale' price or other discount has much lesser effect.

Prices seem to be mainly influenced by whether the departure is in peak season; when you intend to go is quite early so lower prices will/should apply then (?).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Sale for 2013

Try posting on the Air Travel forum. The "experts" reside there.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

As I recall, however, BA had a sale last year starting sometime in January. I don't know, however, what will be happening this year. (You might sign up for e-mail "alerts" from the airlines for early notice about sales.)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Sale for 2013

UK Air Passenger Duty on an economy London-Vancouver ticket next May is £65 (C$103). It's only charged one-way, on the outbound flight from the UK.

If you _ever_ find a return ticket London-Vancouver where APD is 50% of the ticket price -- that'd make a total price of £130 (C$206) -- book it _immediately_ as it's certainly a systems glitch or other deal that won't last.

Air Canada has sale alerts via email and Twitter; see (aircanada.com/en/…-INT), and yes, the Air Travel forum has experts on these things.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight Sale for 2013

In addition to the Air Travel Forum, you may find it useful to also post on the TA London Forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g186338-i17-London…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,425 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight Sale for 2013

You can sign up on the Air Canada website to receive email notification of upcoming sales... I'm sure other airlines do similarly. I would expect May sales to be announced in about February or March. If you are a facebook user, most airlines also have pages there ... I found out about an incredible deal for our upcoming holiday to Europe on the KLM facebook page.

Edited: 20 October 2012, 18:58
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,163 posts
775 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight Sale for 2013

You can also try posting on bargain travel forums..

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight Sale for 2013

There is also Air Transat. Not great but cheaper than BA or AC.

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight Sale for 2013

OK, I'll rephrase this;

The actual fare is less than 50% of the total charges-e.g.

…aircanada.com/pl/AConline/en/OverrideServlet

If you mouse over the selected date, the fare is £299 out of a total of £671, the remainder being charges which appear to be non-negotiable, or not subject to discount.

Unless the 'fuel surcharge' is a not realistically justified, then my point is valid, though not pedantically correct.

Rates of APD itself are here;

…hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/…

The only reason these charges may form a lower % of total cost is when ticket prices rise due to the season.

Thomas Cook are planning to sell planes to avoid having to sell off seats/holidays at bargain rates- it is how the UK travel industry thinks these days.

A further example of attitudes is that I tried very hard to book a flight for my friend who was stranded in Bahrain when the Icelandic ash cloud struck. He flies very regularly on KLM (is personally welcomed aboard by the captain) and the 'cheapest' was >£1,600 one way...

bristol
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight Sale for 2013

Thanks for your responses, I did not get an email update and have only just checked.

When I first started looking about 6 weeks ago the costs was about 665.00 return, it i now £799 which is quite a leap! I didnt book then as my trip was not confirmed, it now is but am eagerly awaiting the cost to go down.

All your comments noted thanks!

10. Re: Flight Sale for 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2013, 10:15