We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can we visit vancouver in winter

Calgary, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
can we visit vancouver in winter

Hi all we are planning to go vancouver in november ..is that worth going now??

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: can we visit vancouver in winter

I meet all kinds of people from the prairies who visit here in winter-they laugh @ the temperatures we consider cold and they also get some amazing prices on flights and hotel rooms.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: can we visit vancouver in winter

It's not winter (by prairie standards), but it is "rainy season". If you're OK with that, go!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,566 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can we visit vancouver in winter

November 2011: rain = 123 mm, snow = 1 cm. High 8, low 2

2010: rain = 126 mm, snow = 16 cm. High 7, low 2

2009: rain = 282 mm, snow = 0 cm. High 10, low 4

Sunset: 4h45 when the clock changes back and 4h15 on Nov 30.

Rain gear and layers, solid toed shoes. Stanley Park would be great to cycle around on a sunny day, English Bay and False Creek the same. Grouse mountain has snow and will open for skiing, I think by the end of November. There's 66 cm of snow up there right now. Attractions are open - Zip lines, Theatre, restos.

3-4 attractions will be opening with the Christmas lights displays on about December 1st.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,212 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can we visit vancouver in winter

if you are driving it is always a risk of snow storm in the mountains which may hold you back a day. So looking at weather forecast and DriveBC for road conditions is recommended.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,981 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can we visit vancouver in winter

Well most certainly you can come any time of year and find things to do and ways to enjoy yourself. You probably won't see the place at its best, tbh, its probably the worst time of year to come, but doesn't mean its not worth coming.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can we visit vancouver in winter

I went for walk today...I had to wear along sleeve shirt.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: can we visit vancouver in winter

Me too but was still comfortably wearing shorts

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,981 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can we visit vancouver in winter

Days like yesterday are the good ones. Days like today make you want to stay in bed. Weather is the luck of the draw. I was sitting watching the Olympic Nordic skiing at Whistler in a t-shirt, so we get all sorts of conditions in the winter. But November does tend to rain more than anything...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can we visit vancouver in winter

Lots of rain, fairly dark and cloudy and average temps about 10C. I certainly don't mind, preferring here to the weather when I lived in Northern Ontario and Montreal.

However, jyo, you haven't said who is going (you and partner, friend, children, ages, etc.) and what you hope to do. City sightseeing is certainly ok, although gardens will be rainy. Shopping and restaurants are always fine, and sometimes it's even more fun to have a bowl of noodle soup when it's cold and rainy. It's also still "shoulder season" in Whistler, so a bit cheaper even there.

If it's just to visit friends/family, and to see the best the city has to offer, then the summer, up to mid-Oct, is much more pleasant. Really, a lot of your experience will depend on your agenda and expectations.

10. Re: can we visit vancouver in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2013, 10:15