We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Wall Centre or The Westin Grand

Annandale, Virginia
Level Contributor
172 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton Wall Centre or The Westin Grand

I'm currently planning a trip to Vancouver and am trying to figure out where I should stay. At this point I am deciding between the Westin Grand Vancouver or the Sheraton Wall Centre. It looks as if both are centrally located but I am trying to see which hotel is closer to the subway as I won't have a car. Also, how are the areas surrounding these hotels at night - I'll be a single female traveler during this time so this is important to me. Any information will be helpful to me. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,178 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Wall Centre or The Westin Grand

I think that you would enjoy the Westin more. Vancouver is very safe city ...you needn't worry.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,227 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Wall Centre or The Westin Grand

The "subway" here is skytrain and it really won't help you much in getting around downtown..easier to just walk....although very good getting in to town from the airport. Either hotel will be fine for walking around at night..or any other time..as it gets dark right now at 4:30pm. When are you coming? Have you looked at the Metropolitan or Sutton Place? I ask because they're both very close to shopping and many restaurants and also close to skytrain.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
241 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Wall Centre or The Westin Grand

i had the same dilemma couple of months ago & opted for the sheraton, purely because its nearer the centre of town, although from what people have being saying the westin isnt that much of a walk. i fly on friday so mayb be able to tell you a bit more next week.

a tip on getting the best price for either hotel....use tripadviser to search for your hotel to get best deal, i found that that olotel.com had the best price of all the booking sites. id never heard of them so i went to hotel website & using a tool on the bookings page you can email them the price you've been quoted, & if its better than any price they can do they will match it & beat it by 10%.

starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/submitform.html

cut & paste the above link to take you to claim form. it asks for a Starwood Preferred Guest Number but this isnt essential.

search the hotel site for the best price & then enter info on the form above, then enter the price you have obtained from the secondary booking site, once confirmed they will amend your reservation.

I've got it for $84 dollars night as opposed to the hotel price of $180 a night.

Edited: 21 November 2012, 23:16
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,765 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Wall Centre or The Westin Grand

Have a look in the Top Questions to the above right, third topic under TRANSPORT called "Is my hotel close to Canada Line."

You might also have a look at the St. Regis which is 1 block from the Vancouver City Centre Canada Line stop. Comes with made to order breakfast, is centrally located.

Here's a map outlining the hotels mentioned, with balloon A being VCC Canada Line Station at Georgia and Granville ...., and well named at our "city centre."

http://goo.gl/maps/SKLqf

5. Re: Sheraton Wall Centre or The Westin Grand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 November 2012, 18:05
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,765 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Wall Centre or The Westin Grand

…custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/850

Hi Bryce and welcome to the forums ~

Please read the above guidelines for posting in the forums, in particular the section on "free from solicitation" section. TA will therefore remove your post.

Owners often come on the forum to provide factual information to questions asked. e.g. Yes, we do have some rooms with 4 beds, No, our pool is not open 24 hours a day. And some owners offer tourist information for the surrounding area and city. That type of post seems to be permitted.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Wall Centre or The Westin Grand

I would personally choose the Sheraton.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Wall Centre or The Westin Grand

I have been lucky enough to have travleled to Vancouver twice! The first time alone for business, the second with the hubs.

Downtown Vancouver is very friendly during the evening and on into nightime. I didn't feel afraid to walk around alone. Lots of people out and about all hours. Skytrain is mostly underground in the downtown area, it only gets up in the air once out of downtown. So it is like subway but still not scary at all. Buy an all day pass for $9.00

As stated above you can walk most everywhere downtown within 15-20 mins. I even found it enjoyable to walk in the rain ! The only thing about Vancouver is it is very hilly (mountains) and you will have sore legs from walking around.

If you want a reasonable priced lunch check out the food court underground in the Vancouver Lookout building.

The best thing for walking around downtown is to try to do most of it indoors in the mall, that way you are avoiding all the hill climbing.

You do need to take the bus to Stanley Park if you are planning on going there, the aquarium is there to.

The only area to stay away from is East Hastings St. If you go to Chinatown don't use Hastings to get there.

I stayed at the Pan Pacific both times. First because it sounded a nice hotel to stay at which it is ( had a city view room) The second time we stayed there because it was one of the only hotels with a great harbour view and mountain views which my hubby wanted.

I do think the next time we stay that we will try one of the vacation rentals listed on Tripadvisor instead as most have full kitchens. Eating out in Vancouver can get expensive.

Unfortunately we didn't make it Granville Island which I hear is a must see! If you want any other info let me know.

9. Re: Sheraton Wall Centre or The Westin Grand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 November 2012, 04:05
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton Wall Centre or The Westin Grand

You know SamSalmon. I can't believe your snotty reply to my answer to someone else's question. I didn't ask for your opinion on my answer, the poster asked for mine on my experience to help them.

And calling someone names on top of it all shows what class you have, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it all!