We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver & Kamloops

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver & Kamloops

Hi....Can anyone advise if the Greyhound Bus is reliable from Vancouver to Kamloops ? Trying to get to Kamloops but want to avoid the train as it takes 9 hours and costly due to the price for a 2 berth cabin. Cant drive as from Kamloops we intend taking the Train to Jasper ,,,,

Also can anyone advise on the best tours in Vancouver to go whale watching and whether Sep is a good month, This is our 1st visit to Vancouver and have 4 days to take in as much as we can.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,109 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver & Kamloops

Yes, bus is reliable. Whale watching? See about whales at Top Questions on this page. September is a good month for everything.

Edited: 03 December 2012, 19:05
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,688 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver & Kamloops

What do you mean by 'reliable'?

http://vancouverwhalewatch.com/

September is prime time for whale watching.

Edited: 03 December 2012, 19:07
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,151 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver & Kamloops

My first thought is what is drawing you to Kamloops? You must want to visit there for at least a half day and a night because otherwise you could take the train from Vancouver to Jasper.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver & Kamloops

Hi Sam...Just really need to know if anyone would recommend this service

I would prefer to drive but it seems difficult what with one way rentals? We are just planning on Kamloops as we want to take the train to Jasper from there and using it as a stop only. Only other possibility is to hire a car at YVR and skip Kamloops and the train to Jasper ? Would you say the drive to Jasper is a good option and any suggestions for a stopover en-route ?

Thanks for your help..Chris

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver & Kamloops

Hi thanks for your reply....Kamloops was just on the map as a place we could overnight before catching the early rail to Jasper. I have looked a Vancouver to Jasper but it's so expensive ?? Maybe its better to drive from Vancouver...Have you any suggestions were we could stop over between YVR & Jasper to break the journey....We could possibly drive for 4-5 hours then stop and continue the next day. We will be returning back to YVR from Banff and looking to stop at Salmon Arm ? Forgot to say the trip will be early September... Thanks again... Chris

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,151 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver & Kamloops

Hi Chris ~

"Kamloops was just on the map." A statement like that makes me bite my nails down to the quick! If you've come all this way to see this part of the world, you want to be getting good suggestions to help you with your planning. It tends to be a bit hard to do that without having more context.

If you could post your dates and your planned itinerary so far and what your travel style is, the regulars here could help you out. At the moment it looks as though you prefer budget travel?

I don't know how much you've explored the forum. If you click on the blue print word "British Columbia" just above your avatar, then look in the Top Question to the upper right, you will find our Trip Report Collection: an excellent research tool.

But, if you let us know the big picture, we could let you know what things you might want to consider.

At a personal level, I would avoid Greyhound in favour of flying, but it is reliable, just the public transit of the highways version of road travel.

Look into Canadian Affair (UK co.) for a car rental without a one way drop fee. Driving will defo give you more flexibility, but don't know your time frame for this trip yet.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver & Kamloops

Hi muftimax...Thanks for your help...It's our 1st time to Canada after many years just talking about it. Have been ploughing through the forums to great lengths but there is so much info on there and people with different views on what to see, where to go whats's good, whats bad etc it's totally mindblowing... Anyway we have a 14 day vacation booked next Sep and we are flying in/out of YVR due to YYC being booked out. On arrival in YVR we'll spend one night before heading to Jasper.Originally had planned to take the bus to Kamloops then the train to Jasper but this seems too long winded and not ideal for us. Think we;ll now hire a car and drive but looking for a place to stop en-route to break the journey (Any ideas?). Then we'll continue onto Jasper where we'll spend 9-10 days touring Jasper,Lake Louise and Banff. We have a deal to stay at the Radisson Canmore and will use this as a base for the area. After this period we'll head back to YVR with a stop at either Revelstoke, Kelowna or Salmon Arm ? Once back in YVR we should have about 3-4 Days to take in everything we possibily can and would like to take in a whale watching tour to finish our vacation. Do you think all this is possible ? We could take a flight from YYC/YVR but one way car rentals are difficult due to the fee they charge (About CAD500).. Thanks for your help its greatly appreciated.... Chris

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,151 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver & Kamloops

Hi Chris ~

Lots of options for crossing the province and how best to do that, that's for sure, as you have discovered.

The first thing that I think you need to do is to enquire about the car rental. I would look into Canadian Affair, as I mentioned in post 6, to see about a one way rental from Van to Calgary without a surcharge. You already know the surcharge from other agencies. Getting this info about the car is #1 so that your itinerary can be sorted.

Have you booked your Radisson Canmore yet? Are those dates fixed? Are you committed to 9-10 days? If those are flexible then you can create a flexible journey across the province and through the Rockies. So let's assume some flexibility and a one way rental with no surcharge. Let's say, with a one way rental, you want to experience some interesting locations on the way east.

1 night Vancouver, pick up car the next day from a downtown location.

2 nights on the way to Banff (not Jasper) 1 night Osoyoos > 1 night Revelstoke > Canmore.

3 nights Canmore/Banff

(1 night Lake Louise) ....... OR make a day trip to Lake Louise. Decisions, decisions. It's about an hour's drive from Canmore.

One full day to explore the many attractions and viewpoints to Jasper on the Icefields Parkway:

www.icefieldsparkway.ca

3 nights Jasper

One full day southbound this time on the Icefields Parkway (a bonus and much more scenic than Hwy 5 and 16 between Kamloops and Jasper.)

1 night Canmore/Banff to get positioned for the 1.5 hour drive to the Calgary airport, return the car and hop a plane for the 1.5 hour flight to Vancouver. Planes are scheduled every hour between YYC and YVR. ..... OR you could drive the 5 hours, stops extra down from Jasper right to YYC, drop the car and take an evening flight to Vancouver for ...

3 nights Vancouver

This possible itinerary would give you 1 or 0 days to play with, depending on how you handle LL and how you handle the last day before a flight to Vancouver. IMO, this itinerary would give you some variety of scenery, attractions, landscapes, history and geography. It's only one idea and made without knowing what set arrangements you have made already. I think it is fair to say that Hwy 1 from about Revelstoke to Banff is more scenic than Hwy 5 and 16. I also think it is fair to say that Hwy 5 The Coquihalla, between Hope and Kamloops is a functional, business like, point A to point B haul up a mountain to about 1200 metres, then a long brake down the other side. Hwy 5 between Kamloops and T Jaune Câche intersection with Hwy 16 is long and isolated, with Wells Gray Park near Clearwater being the only serious point of interest.

It is of course possible to drive to Banff, taking one night in a location such as Kelowna. Map: http://goo.gl/maps/KON4K

And it is possible to drive to Jasper, taking one night in Clearwater. Map: http://goo.gl/maps/Ho9Cp

Random thoughts: you will not be able to drive to Jasper and back from "a base" in Canmore or Banff. It is too far to do in a day. You could drive up half way, turn around and come back in a day. Monday Sept 2nd is Labour Day here and Labor Day in the USA as well. It's a very busy weekend and ressies will be needed well in advance.

Map of this itinerary: http://goo.gl/maps/CrCYu

About the Okanagan Valley from Osoyoos to Vernon, with links to the cities/towns at the end of the article:

britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp…

About Revelstoke, a centre of CPR railway history:

britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp…

A video of the Spiral Tunnel near Field, BC from the viewpoint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEe9d69NpyM

If you have specific questions about the Rockies, Banff, LL or Jasper, you would be best to post them on the Canadian Rockies Forum, or even the individual city/town forums. The link to the CR forums is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Can…

Give this some thought and continue doing your planning and research.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver & Kamloops

I loved Kamloops. It's location is very pretty and unlike anything we have on the east coast. I'd return there anyday. Reminded me of New Mexico!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver & Kamloops

Thanks so much for this. We are pretty flexible with our base at Canmore but think we'll book accommodation in Jasper for 2 nights also.

There is so much to take in and want to ensure we get everything right before finalising our route. Depending on the OW fee then your above suggestions look good to me, I'll check this out in more depth....

Think we'll look at doing Osoyoos or Kelowna via Revelstoke as above as this gives us everything we are looking for.

Thank you again for such valuble advise its geat to get second views on an area we are new too and this helps us in planning the right itinerary...