We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

halt between Jasper and Whistler

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
Level Contributor
105 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
halt between Jasper and Whistler

We are a family of 7 doing the Canadian Rockies. On the final leg we will be driving from Jasper to Whistler.

1. Suggest us a scenic route.

2. Somewhere after about 5 to 6 hours of driving we would like to take a night halt . Please suggest which town we should stay and if good accommodations are available.

Please advise. Thanks.

Hussain

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: halt between Jasper and Whistler

Clearwater is a good place to stop for the night. If you have time you could go up to Well's Gray Park and see some beautiful waterfalls.

Scenic route to Whistler: Clearwater - Little Fort - exit highway 24 west - Lone Butte - exit south to 70Mile House(along Green Lake) - highway 97 - highway 99 - Whistler.

Dubai
Level Contributor
105 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: halt between Jasper and Whistler

Wallie R thank you for your suggestionread that to spend the night at Clearwater. I just read that the drive to Clearwater is just about 3.5 hrs from Jasper. that will be too short.

What we will do is to go to the waterfalls at Clearwater and then leave to take a halt somewhere after a drive of another 2 or 2.5 hrs. The idea being that the next morning we leave for Whistler and reach within 2 or 2.5 hrs so that we get the day to spend in Whistler.

Would Kamloops or Lilloet be a better choice ??

Please suggest.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: halt between Jasper and Whistler

Jasper - Clearwater is appr. 325km. You'll never make that in 3,5 hours. Even when you don't stop at Mount Robson or Mnt. Terry Fox, Rearguard Falls or Blue River your average speed will be at best around 70km/h. It would be a real shame if you'd speed through very scenic highway24.

Dubai
Level Contributor
105 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: halt between Jasper and Whistler

So you suggest that we spend the night at Clearwater. How much would be the driving time the next morning from Clearwater to Whistler ?? Would we be able to reach by noon ??

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: halt between Jasper and Whistler

No, probably not. It's about 425km and a longer drive than Jasper- Clearwater.

You could extend your first leg from Jasper to the Green Lake area, where you'll find some nice overnight accommodations. That would cut your 2nd leg to Whistler by about 100-110km. You might not have time to see the falls in Well's Gray, but you've probably seen a lot of waterfalls already by now.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: halt between Jasper and Whistler

Forgot to put in a link for accommodations near Green Lake:

www.cariboovacations.com/members.html

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,042 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: halt between Jasper and Whistler

Hussain - if you are trying to get to Whistler for noon the next day, then you really don't have a lot time to do any sightseeing along the way, which is a real shame, but its your vacation.

With a total driving time of about 9 hours by the fastest route (according to Google, which tends to be fairly accurate), and you want to do 6 hours of driving (which will take at least 8 hours to cover because you have to stop for fuel, stop for meals and stop for washroom breaks) and then do another 3 hours the next day (which you could do in one go - through some very pretty country a shame again....) then you probably want to try to get to Kamloops or Cache Creek. Kamloops is the bigger town. Cache Creek is more of a truck stop sort of place, but it will do for a night.

I don't think you will have time to do the 60 km detour into Wells Grey and Helmeken Falls unless you manage to get going very early in the morning.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,139 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: halt between Jasper and Whistler

Clearwater is four hour's drive from Jasper, usually (without stops). The highways have 90 km/hr speed limit and most drive that, or even a bit faster. (There is a lot of truck traffic - this is one of the major cross-Canada routes.) It's undivided highway though, with a shortage of passing lanes, so if you do get stuck behind slower traffic, it can be slow going for awhile.

Kamloops is five hours from Jasper.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,211 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: halt between Jasper and Whistler

I'm not comfortable advising on a question like this that has no context. From your other thread you mention that you will have a month and we don't know what month. If you are planning the Rockies in April or May or, all caution to the wind, next month, we really need to know this.

I will step out over the edge and suggest that you return south on the Icefields Parkway to Golden then west from there. You would not regret doing the IP in two directions.

Dubai
Level Contributor
105 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: halt between Jasper and Whistler

Thanks everyone for the guidance. Now, we have to travel from Jasper to Whistler. I have kept a day in between to enjoy a scenic drive and take a night halt en route. I need to reach Whistler the next day by latest 1pm so I get to see Whistler for half a day on that day and another full day the next day. The third day we leave for Vancouver.

We intend to leave Jasper by 8 in the morning after breakfast. Now please tell me how I should go about , where I should stay at night and what time do I leave the next day to reach Whistler between noon and 1 pm.

thanks.