We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver for Family Day Weekend

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vancouver for Family Day Weekend

I've just booked my flight to visit a friend in downtown Vancouver for the Family Day long weekend. I will only have 2 full days in the city so I need some recommendations on what my priorities should be in terms of attractions, bars/restaurants, shopping, etc. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,069 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver for Family Day Weekend

What are you interested in, s_cheryl? What's your budget? Will it only be you? What kind of dining experiences are you seeking? Where do you typically like to eat? Who are you travelling with? What's your budget? What are your expectations for Vancouver? Is this your first time? Are you hoping to just stick to one part of Vancouver? etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,958 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver for Family Day Weekend

You could spend up to a half day in Stanley Park, walking the seawall if not raining, otherwise use the HOHO bus. Granville Island might take a couple of hours to see more than just the Public Market. There is the Museum of Anthrology at UBC, a 40 min bus ride for their excellent exhibits on the First Nations culture. Gastown would be lively for meals of all kinds. Heading up to the top of Grouse mountain would have you stepping off the gondola to about a metre of snow, but on a sunny clear day, fish no clouds covering the top of the mountain there would be a great view. There is shopping at Pacific Centre, a large two storeyed complex right downtown. Those are some of the highlights here.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver for Family Day Weekend

Shopping wise, head to Granville Island, West 4th, or Granville Street south of Broadway. Depends of course what you're looking for. Don't bother with Robson Street or the downtown Pacific Centre Mall - they have all the same stores you'd find in Toronto.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,397 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver for Family Day Weekend

If it's small independent clothing stores you want try Main St south of Broadway all kinds of interesting places featuring independent designers-you can easily walk right up to 30th or so lots of places to eat as well.

Note-Broadway is Ninth Ave.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver for Family Day Weekend

Thanks for all your responses...very helpful! BC_Robyn - in response to some of your questions, I will be visiting with a girlfriend who has very recently moved to Vancouver so she doesn't know it very well yet. This will be my first time visiting Vancouver and I don't have any crazy expectations...I just want to sample a few things the city has to offer. In terms of budget, I'm not looking for anything super-posh or 5-star, but I'm definitely not looking for fast food or chain restuarants either! I'm open to seeing different parts of Vancouver, but I know I'm limited for time and I won't have access to a vehicle while I'm there. My friend lives near West Georgia & Howe St. so I think that will be our starting point.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,484 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver for Family Day Weekend

In all seriousness, the Tourism Vancouver website is quite good and provides a good run down of your options.

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/

7. Re: Vancouver for Family Day Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 06:17