We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental problems

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental problems

I am trying to book a ford mustang from vancouver for late August.

Some of the websites i.e. Ritz say they rent them but can not give me a price for that time of year, surely 7 months in advance is enough notice.

Some have not responded to my email, and other websites such as comparison websites, say they have the car but then when you got to reserve it from the main dealer site they do not have it.

It is becoming a nightmare and a headache, which has taken to much time to sort out.

Can anyone tell me if I would be able to turn up at the airport or down town to hire one on the day.

My 2nd choice of car would be a Jeep grand Cherokee (new model).

Thanks

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,936 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental problems

Seven months is too much notice-check back 3 months from your desired date rates should be posted by then.

Renting a specific model is always fraught with problems-Stand Fast/Don't Panic and Think of England!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,286 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental problems

Hi namiUk ~

Yes, much too early. You will be booking by vehicle category, not specific car. The websites say something like "Ford Focus or similar." This is the escape clause for when they don't have your specific car on their lot but can provide a car in the same category: engine size, # of pax, amount of luggage.

Have a look at the UK company Canadian Affair. Many posters have commented positively about them especially in regard to one way rentals (e.g. to the Rockies) without a one way drop fee.

http://www.canadianaffair.com/en/car_hire/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental problems

Nami,

When I want to reserve a rental vehicle for my annual trip to the east coast I first check rates and availability online then call agencies and/ or locations direct for further information and to make a reservation. I book in advance as the summer is busy and there's a finite number of rental vehicles. Rental rates increase with demand.

You're taking your chances if you walk in on the date of your arrival - you may not get what you want or need and your rates could increase. There's no doubt that you'll be at a disadvantage.

If I want to rent a vehicle in Vancouver, I do the same thing - check online then call the agency and/ or location to book. I do this to ensure that I get the vehicle I want or need and for peace of minds that my travel plans are not delayed nor interrupted.

Please be aware there's an investigation into scams by Budget Rental in British Columbia. CBC (akin to BBC) did a recent expose on BC Budget Rental, and specifically the airport and downtown Vancouver locations, with some former managers and employees. It's not worth the risk. There are lots of other rental agencies to choose from.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,478 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental problems

You have no guarantee that you will get a specific make / model of vehicle...hopefull you will get the category that you reserved.

5. Re: Car rental problems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 05:18