We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in April

los angeles
Level Contributor
257 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
weather in April

Hi. I'm thinking of visiting Vancouver & Victoria Island during the first week of April. But I was wondering how the weather will be like. I like to do outdoor activities such as hiking..thanks!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in April

Lots of flowers and some decent hiking close to the sea-kayaking too depending on wind.

There may be some rain but flowers need rain.

www.clubtread.com/sforum/forum.asp…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in April

Yes, its quite lovely in April, but you do have to be a bit waterproof. However, with the right gear, its beautiful. Keep in mind that rain around here tends to be drizzly and sporadic, not usually a heavy downpour. I used to work outside and I can count on my fingers the number of times I got truly soaked through. Usually it was just all drippy and damp, so quite manageable with the right gear on.

However, for hiking, any high elevation trips will still be in the snow at that time of year. You need to wait until late June to get up into the mountains without needing snowshoes.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in April

Last April we had 93 mm of rain. Here is a link to the Environment Canada data base for historical info. You can change the setting for the year and month to see what's up at other times.

http://tinyurl.com/axhz9r2

I will assume you mean the city of Victoria (our capital city) on Vancouver Island. Here is the data for the city of Victoria:

http://tinyurl.com/cjaew9j

If you go back several years, you will see how changeable weather is here.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in April

kinda like this.....

flvrd.com/static/p/flowers-in-the-pouring-ra…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in April

Really, the "best time" to visit Vancouver and Vancouver Island is mid-May to mid-September. The first week in April is not much later than March and March can be very chilly and blustery.

To a certain extent, it depends upon where you are coming from. We were in Victoria one February, when we met some visitors from Winnipeg - think your mid-west with the below zero temperatures and lots and lots of snow. They thought February in Victoria was just great, thank you very much, as the crocuses were starting to peek through the ground. You, on the other hand, would be coming from much warmer weather and might feel the April cool temperatures and the dampness more acutely.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in April

ha ha ha ha ha @ krusty.

7. Re: weather in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 06:15