We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip from vancouver to nyc

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
road trip from vancouver to nyc

hi there,

me and some friends are planing a road trip this year mid september. we have 3 weeks and our own car.

here is a map what we have planded.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Vancouver,+BC&daddr=San+Francisco,+Californie,+%C3%89tats-Unis+to:Los+Angeles,+Californie,+%C3%89tats-Unis+to:Las+Vegas,+Nevada,+%C3%89tats-Unis+to:Salt+Lake+City,+Utah,+%C3%89tats-Unis+to:Idaho+Falls,+Idaho,+%C3%89tats-Unis+to:Parc+national+de+Yellowstone,+Yellowstone+National+Park,+WY,+%C3%89tats-Unis+to:Mont+Rushmore,+Mount+Rushmore,+South+Dakota,+%C3%89tats-Unis+to:Chicago,+Illinois,+%C3%89tats-Unis+to:Cleveland,+Ohio,+%C3%89tats-Unis+to:New+York,+%C3%89tat+de+New+York,+%C3%89tats-Unis+to:Montr%C3%A9al,+QC&hl=fr&ie=UTF8&ll=41.902277,-93.427734&spn=35.451598,86.572266&sll=45.423055,-98.34143&sspn=33.561518,86.572266&geocode=Faqq7wIdOW6p-CmzT6lD8XOGVDGL84Gb6paRuw%3BFVJmQAIdKAe0-CkhAGkAbZqFgDH_rXbwZxNQSg%3BFYqYBwIdm77z-CkT2ifcXcfCgDH0CEYlb98v4g%3BFdYQJwIdMJoi-SnRffWkgre-gDGjebPV5tXMOg%3BFcv1bQIdma1U-SntMdGIlD1ShzHKMU1IoLdTWw%3BFUOhlwIdVH9S-Sm1EpVzTllUUzHJSUwJ_MkRIw%3BFTQcrwIdZqpm-SG74Y80MPmorClVVVVVVeVRUzG74Y80MPmorA%3BFbGPnQIdmXDV-SHCrSKNkZ-ItinxmdNvdjZ9hzHCrSKNkZ-Itg%3BFWICfwIdGuDG-inty_TQPCwOiDEAwMAJrabgrw%3BFWc7eQIdT20h-ykta2jjLu8wiDFCGGL3VcsE7Q%3BFXFAbQIdK8KW-yk7CD_TpU_CiTFi_nfhBo8LyA%3BFT5otgIduKed-ykNt2QcVBrJTDHv7x8hODFOZQ&oq=montreal&mra=ls&t=m&z=4

do you think we can make it in 3 weeks with like still having a good time?

thank you for any advise.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip from vancouver to nyc

http://tinyurl.com/bcffzbp

Here is a live link for that map

Welcome to the forum, mattbass.

The folks in this part of the world are such a tiny part of where you want to go. It would be to your benefit and advantage if you posted on the Road Trips Forum. Those folks have been all over the place and have a great deal of expertise. Here is the link to that forum where you can ask your question:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Even by reading some of the threads already listed on that forum, you will see right away that's the place for your question. If you have specific questions about Vancouver, then this is the best place to ask those.

How to make a live link? when you have that google map open, you will see the bike near the top of the destinations. Just above that you will see a printer icon and a chain icon. (The "chain link" idea.) Click on that chain icon to get a small box pop up with the long URL in the URL field. Just above is a tiny box to check for a "short URL." That will give you a live link to copy and paste in your post.

Edited: 02 February 2013, 10:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip from vancouver to nyc

thank you!!!!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip from vancouver to nyc

Wow that is quite distance! No doubt you have looked at the map and know that just from Vancouver - NYC is over 5000 KM. That said, I have driven from Vancouver to San Diego and then up through the US to Kingston Ontario in 3 weeks and it was a very cool trip. You have to understand that you will spend a lot of time in the car, but it is quite an amazing trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip from vancouver to nyc

Yes, he's getting a reality check on the Road Trips forum.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip from vancouver to nyc

Sounds like an awesome roadtrip!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,669 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip from vancouver to nyc

Basically, the feedback you are getting ranges from "awesome" to "impossible". I think the best thing to do would be to break your itinerary all down, leg by leg, like this: Vancouver to San Francisco = driving time (google maps can help with estimates) = ? days, stopover time (how long?), SF to ?, etc. For example, Google maps says the first leg is 14 hours of driving time, which probably translates to at least 16 in "real time", allowing for breaks, meals etc. Do you want to do this all in one go, with multiple drivers, or over a couple of days?

Work up a day-by-day itinerary and then you will have an idea of how your trip will go, and, more importantly, is this the trip you want.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip from vancouver to nyc

It will be a lot of driving but you will have a blast and see some awesome country. The one place you have missed in my opinion is the Grand Canyon in NW Arizona. I think I'd stop there over Yellowstone.

In October we travelled from Rossland, BC through Spokane WA, Billings MT, Sheridan WY, Rapid City SD, Sioux City IA, past Des Moines IA then Joliet IL to Elkhart Indiana towing a 5th wheel. We left Sunday morning , stopped two nights in Iowa and arrived Saturday AM in Elkhart. It looks like a long way, but it really isn't that bad.

You need to plan how far you want to drive and where you want to stop to get the most of the afternoon or morning on arrival or departure. For example, it's only a 4 hr drive from LA to Vegas, so if you left early in the day, you would have the afternoon and night in Vegas. Mind you, you may end up sleeping all the next day :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: road trip from vancouver to nyc

thanks for all your input!!!!!!! i think its gonna be awesome :) will post some pic's :)and of course letu know if I made it :)

9. Re: road trip from vancouver to nyc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2014, 06:18