We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days in Vancouver

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
5 Days in Vancouver

Hi, my wife and i would be spending a total of 6 days in Vancouver from 18 May 13 to 22 May (Flying off on the 23rd). We are wondering what we should do as we are really interested in the following.

1) Chilliwack Whitewater rafting

2) Visiting the Rockies

My plan is to do a 4 D 3 N rockies visit and then spend the 5th day doing the Chilliwack Whitewater rafting. We are currenly looking for a budget way of touring the rockies and would need some advise on that!

Apart from the 2 mentioned places, any places that we should consider too? Also, possible to reccomend some nice place to stay in? We are looking at average to budget options.

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,193 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days in Vancouver

Hi JasonYew ~

It would be really difficult to come to Vancouver, go rafting on the Chilliwack and visit the Rockies in 6 days. The Rockies are 850 km away from Vancouver and about 10 hours solid driving, stops extra. We generally recommend 1 night on the way to Alberta and then spending 5-8 nights split between Banff and Jasper.

If you want to go to the Rockies, you should fly to Calgary, rent a car for the 2 hour drive to Banff, and then stay 2 nights Banff, 2 nights Jasper and 1 final night in Banff to position yourself to drive back to the airport to fly out. Here is a map of what is involved with driving from Vancouver to Banff. You will see the driving distances and driving time in the left sidebar. It would not be advisable, if even possible, to visit Vancouver and the Rockies in this short amount of time.

Road map Vancouver to Banff, including a pin for Chilliwack: http://goo.gl/maps/WV1Ig

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,793 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Days in Vancouver

you should also realize that almost every lk in the rockies will be frozen solid. I'm going in late april but hardly expect things to be thawed out. Some things won't be accessible due to snow and road closures.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Days in Vancouver

Not possible to see the Rockies in 5 days from Vancouver unless you fly there like Mufti said. If you do want to see some mountains you can drive up to Whistler which is only 1.5 hours from Vancouver.

You also need a car to go to the whitewater rafting in Chilliwack.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,040 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Days in Vancouver

[rolling around on floor laughing]

Of all the rivers in BC to raft, why the Chilliwack? If that is the only thing you want to do in BC, then why come to Vancouver? Lots of rafting options in the Alberta Rockies, so head on over to the Alberta or Canadian Rockies forum and plan your 6 day trip from Calgary.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Days in Vancouver

Yes the Chilliwack River is rather tame-even in spate there's little to give you a real thrill.

Early in the season the Nahatlatch would be much more fun.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,256 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Days in Vancouver

Jason....the first thing you need to to is to get a map....and have a look at the distances that you are contemplating travelling. Agree with Vancouverite and Sam. You can do most of the Chilliwack in a tippy canoe...

Edited: 07 February 2013, 01:38
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Days in Vancouver

Thank you everyone for the comments. I do comprehend now that it would be really quite difficult to stuff so many things into 6 days considering the long distances. However, we are really interested in having a go at whitewater rafting and would appreciate if anyone has a good recomendation? Also, any reccomendations on other places to visit? Both of us love the mountains and i heard whistler is a good place?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,193 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Days in Vancouver

Hi Jason ~

I think you could do river rafting out of Whistler. Here is a page about that from the Whistler Blackcomb website. Lots of info elsewhere on that website:

whistlerblackcomb.com/reservations/….search

Once you know the name of the company, you can type it in the Trip Advisor search field above the green navigation bar to be taken to a link to the reviews for that company.

You may be interested in knowing what information is on almost all TA forums. In the left sidebar, you will find "things to do." To the upper right you will find "Top Questions" which are different on each forum. There is a Whistler Forum that would help with your research. Here it is:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154948-i400-Whist…

Because you have posted your dates, the Whistler life up the mountain and the Peak to Peak gondola across the valley between Whistler peak and Blackcomb peak, are usually closed for maintenance between about April 20 - May 20th. Remember to open questions on the forums to read the questions and see what answers are being given. Doing this is an travel education.

With 6 nights, I would suggest 4 nights in Vancouver and 2 nights in Whistler. Depending on your flight out, you might not need to stay the final night in Vancouver, but something to think about.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 Days in Vancouver

Most of the Chilliwack river is rated class 2 and 3 with some 4. Rapids are rated 1-5 with 5 the highest. For most people and beginners like the OP the Chilliwack would be fine.

I've done the tour at Chilliwack and it was fun. It obviously also depends on how fast and high the river is that day. Not sure if the OP was looking at the same website.

http://www.chilliwackriverrafting.com/trips

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,040 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 Days in Vancouver

Are you planning to drive or are you going to be relying on buses and other forms of transport.

There are several good rafting outfits up the Fraser Canyon. I've been with Reo a few times and I just love the location of their camp and they raft the Nahatlatch, but they certainly aren't the only outfit.

If you want to include mountains and are driving, then this loop would give you a nice taste of the area without having you driving ridiculously long distances every day.

http://goo.gl/maps/HetpX