We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Vancover

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Vancover

Planning a trip in October--from Toronto by train then Rocky Mountaineer to Vancover. we will have three nights in Vancover could you please recommend an hotel--great location, views, service etc. At our age we wont be coming back so a luxury hotel is what we are lookin for--suggestions please.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Vancover

http://www.westinbayshore.com/

http://www.panpacificvancouver.com/

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Vancover

fivestaralliance.com/luxury-hotels/…20BC

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,613 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Vancover

The Westin Bayshore is always the first hotel that comes to my mind. Its a little bit outside the heart of the action in the city, but right next to world famous Stanley Park, right on the water with great northward facing views towards the mountains.

The old Hotel Vancouver is in a prime downtown location and now called the Fairmont Vancouver (last time I checked anyway, they keep renaming these wonderful old hotels. Stop it!). The Four Seasons is another top notch hotel that is just a couple of blocks away.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,097 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Vancover

<<Planning a trip in October--from Toronto by train then Rocky Mountaineer to Vancover.>>

Does this mean VIA Rail from Toronto to Jasper? And have you found a Rocky Mountaineer date in October? My understanding is the RM finishes for the season at the end of Sept, but they may have added more dates.

Where does the Georgia Hotel fit in? Never hear it mentioned, yet .....?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,285 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Vancover

Good choice, Mufti!

The Rosewood Hotel Georgia would be my first pick for a luxurious hotel with the best service, amenities. If you need a view, I'd look into the Fairmont Pacific Rim. The Westin Bayshore has the best view, in my opinion, and you feel like you're at a resort, but its amenities/services aren't as hip and contemporary (and therefore don't have the current "it" factor) as the Pacific Rim or Hotel Georgia.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 23:09
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,285 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Vancover

If you look at all the TripAdvisor reviews, you'll see that the Rosewood Hotel Georgia wows people who are normally jaded hotel guests... that's why that would be my pick. People from London, New York City, etc. - they're all amazed by the hotel and they all give it 5 stars. The only thing it doesn't have is a waterfront view.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time Vancover

The rate would drive my decision. Love the Bayshore if location suits. Love the Fairmont Pac Rim, P-Pacific and of course the lovely and expensive Rosewood, but if the Sutton Place came in well below in cost, as it can on occasion, I would enjoy their five stars of luxury any day.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time Vancover

The Fairmont Pacific Rim is beautiful and a good central location, beautiful spa, and lobby lounge bar with entertainment, beautiful views, close to shopping, it is a 5 star hotel and gorgeous, sophisticated and cosmopolitan but casual and contemporary. The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is downtown, it is beautiful as well, older, and more traditional. I have stayed here numerous times and love it.

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time Vancover

For your description, I second the Bayshore and Pan Pacific suggestions. Ask for rooms with water views however. The Bayshore is right at the entrance to Stanley Park but out of the downtown core.

They will give you great views.

The best service will be at the Georgia or, not mentionned yet, but usually topping Trip Advisor's list of best hotels in Vancouver is the Hermitage, excelllent in every way, except views.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time Vancover

I have stayed at the Pan Pacific a couple of times. I like the Pan Pacific as with the waterfront rooms you get a bit of privacy, the rest of the hotels its like your in a fishbowl with everyone looking at you. No balconies though. They are right on the waterfront and the views of the water and mountains are fabulous especially at night! Request a water view room and away from the elevators. The hotel is on top of Canada Place so its up high for that view.

Some complain about the Harbour Air planes taking off and landing, but I didn`t notice (wasn`t in the room enough LOL) They have a wonderful outdoor heated pool and hottub as well as a sauna in the change rooms. :)

It is also connected underground to a few buildings and you can scoot over for a Tim Hortons coffee or lots of other food choices if its raining. Of course the walk outside is nicer but for an early morning run its great! There is also a Starbucks just outside of the hotel too.

Plus they have some good restaurants/lounges in the hotel with great views too.

…panpacific.com/en/Vancouver/Overview.html

Close to everything so you can walk to most places.

www.6717000.com/skycorp/vancouver.html map of downtown Vancouver