We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road conditions

Mt. Vernon, WA
1 post
Save Topic
Road conditions

We will be attempting to drive through BC, Canada in an RV with a tow vehicle in early March. Are the main roads cleared of snow ?

The end destination is Fairbanks, AK. The most direct and safe road conditions advice would be great. Do we need chains on the RV at this time of year?

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road conditions

Main roads are always cleared, but it can snow in March in many areas. Here is a handy reference http://www.drivebc.ca/ and they have a mobile app to download as well.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road conditions

are chains legal in BC???

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road conditions

Seasonally

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,072 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road conditions

Hwy 1 was closed yesterday because of slides. It is still winter. AS noted above be sure to check www.drivebc.ca for excellent up to date road conditions/hwy cameras etc

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road conditions

The highway Will be cleared, yes, but it could storm at any time.

The most treacherous part of the highway in the winter is the Pine Pass, from just north of Prince George, heading North, until Chetwynd. There is little-to-no cell service, the road is twisty, and snow can make it a white out very quickly. The weather up here (I'm in Fort St John BC) has been very unseasonably warm and dry, and is expected to be this way for awhile, so you should be fine.

I would use chains just in case. I would also keep an eye on the traffic cams, as mentioned above. If heavy snow is expected in the Pine Pass, I would suggest staying in Prince George. Also gas up in PG, there isn't much between there and Chetwynd, especially at night.

Another thing to watch for is the wildlife. There are a ton of deer and moose on these highways, and they are sneaky! I hope I haven't worried you unnecessarily, it is a spectacular drive through BC, just plan ahead :)

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Road conditions

It's easy enough for you to drive to Bellingham & take the ferry.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,696 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road conditions

Hi Vanora, and welcome to TA and the forum ~

You might want to post on the Whitehorse (Yukon) Forum and the Alaska Forum for further information. Anywhere North of 60 is not in BC.

Whitehorse Forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g155047-i1532-Whit…

Alaska Forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska…

I also think The Milepost would be a help to you, as it covers all the highways up north, mile by mile.

Here's some weather data for Fairbanks by month. You can enter other cities in the search field: www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3…

8. Re: Road conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 05:18