We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the US border in Canadian rental car

Leeds
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Crossing the US border in Canadian rental car

Hello,

Do any rental companies at YVR not charge extra for being in the US?

I just thought i found a sweet deal from Budget for a 2 week rental. But then noticed they charge an extra $30 for every day you are across the border.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Intl Airport
Vancouver Intl Airport
Richmond, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,738 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the US border in Canadian rental car

Maybe you would be better off taking the train or the bus south of the line and renting in the US. Without a sense of what you are trying to do, its difficult to suggest options.

Leeds
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing the US border in Canadian rental car

i'm doing a 2 week road trip from Vancouver and ending in Vancouver.

I did consider that option, but logistically renting at Vancouver airport is going to be our easiest option

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,184 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the US border in Canadian rental car

The rule of thumb is that there is no rule of thumb. Each car agency can set things up the way they want. You will also have to check into what happens to the kilometres once you cross the border. They may change from unlimited to a charge per mile. I would think that returning a damaged car from the US to Canada would involve a lot more paper work and administrative costs which may explain the additional daily cost.

I think you may just have to comparison shop and see what is being offered for what cost.

You might also look into the UK company Canadian Affair, which many UK and Aussie visitors have successfully used at cheaper prices, although I have no idea about cross border driving.

www.canadianaffair.com

In the red navigation bar is a tab for Car and RV Hire.

I will also mention that Budget YVR has undergone several threads of horror on this forum. You could "search Vancouver Forums" for Budget car rental.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Intl Airport
Vancouver Intl Airport
Richmond, Canada
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the US border in Canadian rental car

"several threads of horror...."

Indeed!

Leeds
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing the US border in Canadian rental car

Thanks for your help. I have emailed canadian affair. Their rates seem very reasonable as well.

Tom

Toronto, Ontario...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing the US border in Canadian rental car

We rented a car in seattle once and traveled over to Vancouver then back a couple of days later and really didn't encounter any issues

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing the US border in Canadian rental car

Julianne, you may have been breaking the law in the process. As I understand it, it is illegal for a Canadian to be driving a US licensed rental vehicle in Canada. But maybe that is just BC.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,184 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crossing the US border in Canadian rental car

The legality of this is here:

tc.gc.ca/eng/…releases-2012-h048e-6704.htm

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Crossing the US border in Canadian rental car

It was never illegal to _drive_ US rental cars in Canada; there were restrictions on Canadian residents importing US-plated cars into Canada. That would have been enforced at the border, but as Mufti's press release shows, these restrictions have been eliminated.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,184 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crossing the US border in Canadian rental car

Matt, I'm surprised to read your post. I thought the law was changed last year precisely to allow Canadian travellers to rent a car in the States and bring it north across the border, for up to 30 days. My interpretation of "importing" has to do with purchasing an American car to bring home which would be quite different, but maybe import is a technical term for anything coming across the border. I'm not sure I'm understanding what you have posted.

From the link:

<<Canadian residents will be able to bring a rental vehicle into Canada from the United States.>>

<<A revision to the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) will allow Canadian residents to temporarily import a U.S.-based rental vehicle for non-commercial purposes for a period up to 30 days.>>

Canadians could not do this before, I thought. Is there an example of when Canadians could always drive US rental cars in Canada? If so, this amendment to the MVSA would not have been needed, I'm thinking.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
United States
United States
North America