We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip from Seattle?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip from Seattle?

Hi all,

im thinking about doing a day trip from seattle to vancouver in august.

do people usually do this??

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,577 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip from Seattle?

It depends on border delays. If you are travelling at a good time and you have no passport trouble, it's doable, although a very long day. I believe the Amtrak schedule is set up to facilitate day trips.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,474 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip from Seattle?

Driving, you can expect between 3-6 hours one way, depending on the day and time of day. The first Monday in August makes a very busy long weekend with line ups at the border. Canadians cross the border to cross border shop in Washington State creating line ups at the border.

Bolt Bus makes a straight shot in about 3 hours. Amtrak Cascades is a scenic journey over 4 hours, leaving about 4 hours in Vancouver before you would have to head back.

If you are from Nova Scotia, the border will be straightforward. If you are from Aust, you will have to go inside to fill out a form, pay $6 and be fingerprinted. Again, if there is already a lineup for that, your travel time woukd be extended.

Best IMO to come up on the morning Cascades, stay one night and take the afternoon train back to Seattle.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,654 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip from Seattle?

Victoria is much better set up for day trips from Seattle

Vancouver you need a little more time than 4 or 5 hours

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip from Seattle?

Pretty much everybody in Vancouver has done the reverse and gone to Seattle for a day trip. Border lineups shouldn't be bad as it's people going to the US in the morning that cause the delays at the border.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,090 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip from Seattle?

People from here do day trips to Seattle.. yes.. because we have our own cars, don't need to spend time renting/returning. Because we know the borfder line up options or we have nexus passes. Because we don't need to go into the customs office to do en esta or visa equivalent. Because we are usually heading for a specific event ie football game, art show, shopping. When I want to do a "tourist trip" to Seattle I go for at least an overnight...

Can the OP do a day trip to Vancouver... of course... would it be an enjoyable time spent in town?. They have to decide if the minimum 6 hours travel time, assuming no border waits, is worth the time they'll have here.

If I had limited holiday time I wouldn't do it.

I think the border waits heading south back to the US are going to become much much longer in the coming days..

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,577 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip from Seattle?

I agree with T47, especially traveling on Australian passports, which is bound to slow you down. They wave through Canadian and US passport holders, but others are more likely to get called inside. Danish friends of mine were there for four hours.

It CAN be done, but you have to be realistic about exactly you want out of your day.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip from Seattle?

why do you want to?

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip from Seattle?

We plan on heading into BC on Monday, August 5th. When would the best time be to cross the border? It has been suggested to use the Lynden border crossing and avoid I-5.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,474 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip from Seattle?

relayer ~

Before noon is my vote, as it's BC Day that Monday and a long weekend. When you approach the border, you will see in good time, LED signs hanging over/beside the highway that tell you the wait time for all border crossings. You can make up your mind at that time. Or you can also listen to 730 AM or 1130 AM on the radio for news, weather, traffic.

Probably a good idea to start a new question rather than jump on a thread underway for someone else. :-)

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip from Seattle?

Poster # 8. Be at the border before noon or forget it unless you come after 9pm in the evening. Monday August 5 is the end of a long summer weekend and there will be hordes of people returning from holidays away. They tend to all hit the border in the afternoon and so the earlier the better. Even late the night before would be good.