We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Vancouver

UK
Level Contributor
136 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
North Vancouver

Hi,

We are planning to visit Vancouver for three nights in September. It will be part of our Seattle to San Francisco road trip. Would like to spend one day downtown and one day visiting some of the out of town attractions – possibly a drive along the Sea to Sky Highway.

To keep our hotels costs down we are looking at hotels in North Vancouver. Is this a good alternative to staying downtown? How easy is it to visit downtown using public transport? Are there any other parts of Vancouver worth considering?

Grateful for any advice. Really looking forward to visiting Vancouver – our first trip to Canada.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Vancouver

North Van has two hotels a few paces from the Seabus which takes 12 minutes to downtown. There is a Holiday Inn to the east which is about 30 minutes by transit bus and a cluster of motels around Capilano Road and Marine Drive about 20 minutes by transit. Transit is easy in any of these areas. Capilano will offer the least in options for evenings. By the way, either the Holiday Inn ot the Capilano motels is $25 or less from downtown by evening taxi. Metrotown in Burnaby is on Skytrain and Richmond is on Canada Line. Both have cheaper accommodation. (Richmond opens the option of many hotels with airport shuttles that connect to Canada Line). Other than either Lonsdale Quay Hotel or the very pleasant Pinnacle Hotel near the Seabus will put you at a disadvantage for enjoying your visit due to the commute. I'd reconsider downtown.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,243 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Vancouver

I have often recommended people look at the North Van hotels to save a few dollars. I think there are some good value places downtown, but I'm pretty sure the places on Cap road have free parking, which adds up. Very convenient to downtown, with the proviso that rush hour over there is a killer, so travel off-peak.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,394 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Vancouver

Before you go hot footing it over to the North Shore, consider an idea.

Drop your car in Seattle, you may be required to give up your unlimited mileage once you cross the border. Take Amtrak Cascades from Seattle to Vancouver, 2 trains a day: morning and evening, scenic 4 hour journey, no hassle at the border. From Pacific Central Station in Vancouver, you would be faced with $15 max cab fare to a downtown hotel. You do not need a car in Vancouver at all.

Some downtown hotels to look at:

The Victorian

Ramada Ltd on Pender

Rosellen

YWCA Hotel (IMO, best value in town)

Greenbrier on Robson

Kingston Hotel

Rosellen Suites

You could rent a car for the one day trip out of the city, or take a tour bus such as Landsea Tours or Westcoast Sightseeing to Whistler.

If you want to keep your car, then have a look at Sunset Inn and Suites which offer both free parking and continental breakfast. Another option about 20 min by bus at the east side of Vancouver is Holiday Inn Express on Hastings St which offer a buffet breakfast, although I'm not sure if that is "deluxe" continental or if it includes hot food. This hotel is within a block of accessing the highway to the Sea to Sky section from Horseshoe Bay to Whistler. They seem to have free parking. You would want to ask for a room on the quiet side.

I'm not a big fan of the North Vancouver motels on Capilano Rd. The only two North Shore hotels I would go for is the older 3* Lonsdale Quay, right over the pubic market and next to the bus loop and the Seabus for 15 minutes across the harbour to downtown. There is pay parking in the Quay underground parking lot. Or the Pinnacle, the much newer and 4* hotel with pay parking. Both have rooms that look out over the harbour.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 22:57
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Vancouver

I'd pick Pinnacle over any of the Vancouver cheapies even at twice the price. Fab pool, fine rooms, easy transport, good restaurants nearby...

5. Re: North Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 04:16