We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe, Budget accomodation in Vancouver

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Safe, Budget accomodation in Vancouver

I wish to visit my 26 yr old son who only rents a room in Vancouver so I cannot stay with him. I also cannot afford $245/night but wish to see him. I have not seen him for a few years and the flight cost from Toronto plus $200 up a night for 4/5 nights is a costly thing.Not to bore you but I had to have 3 trips to UK last year due to mothers illness and death so money is tight. I know it is worth it to spend some time with him but one only has so much disposable money to go around, as I will also be paying for meals his and mine and whatever else we do as a mother often does. I only need a safe clean place to lay my head.

Thanks

Thanks for any help and ideas.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,625 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe, Budget accomodation in Vancouver

What month are you visiting?

And there are hundreds of places where you can eat for under $15, or even less. Plus the street cart foods.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe, Budget accomodation in Vancouver

Two safe, budget accommodations that come to mind are:

The Kingston Hotel B&B:

http://www.kingstonhotelvancouver.com/

The YWCA Hotel:

http://www.ywcahotel.com/

Even a private room at the Hostelling International Downtown location would be a good place to stay:

hihostels.ca/westerncanada/169/HI-Vancouver_…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,625 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe, Budget accomodation in Vancouver

It might be good to know what $ range "budget" is in, from your point of view. The reason I asked what month is because UBC residences become available from May to August and may provide a cheaper alternative to downtown accommodation, albeit a 40 min bus ride to downtown Vancouver.

If you are coming in April, UBC accommodation will not be available, but will be available in May. Downtown accommodation will be a bit cheaper in April and May. If you are coming in June-September, downtown accommodation will not be cheap, but the Y will be the best value, and UBC might be the cheapest.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe, Budget accomodation in Vancouver

If you could find out from your son which part of Vancouver he's living in then we can give better advice/options. No point staying downtown/UBC if he's living in East or South Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,072 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe, Budget accomodation in Vancouver

Yes....let us know what your budget is and where your son lives and we can help you better.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe, Budget accomodation in Vancouver

My son lives on Grenville St. I would hope to come at end of May beginning of June before prices start soaring even more. I thank y ou for all your advice so far you are a great bunch of people.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe, Budget accomodation in Vancouver

These are a few possibilities:

www.innatfalsecreek.com

www.downtownbedandbreakfast.com

www.buchanhotel.com

www.comfortinndowntown.com

www.ramadavancouver.com

The Kingston and YWCA Hotel are already mentioned in post#2

If you're looking for something with a kitchen, the Greenbrier is a good choice.

www.greenbrierhotel.com

Some are real close to Granville, but as long as you stay downtown you're never far away.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe, Budget accomodation in Vancouver

He might not be living downtown. It could be South Granville which is the Marpole area. If he's out that way then somewhere in Richmond or the Coast Hotel on Marine drive would be better.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,625 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe, Budget accomodation in Vancouver

Yes, Granville St is 10 km long, so having a cross street might help. Although bus service down Granville St is pretty good.

10. Re: Safe, Budget accomodation in Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 04:16