We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnamese, Indian food?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
910 posts
1,097 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnamese, Indian food?

We love ethnic food. Especially from Asia. We have never been to Asia, but we do live in NYC so try a lot in the Chinatowns of Manhattan & Flushing.

Are Vietnamese, Indian and/or any particular ethnic cuisines especially well represented or presented in Vancouver? We will be staying downtown. We do not mind holes-in-the wall-extremely casual places if food is good. (For instnace, in San Francisco, we eat in the Tenderloin.) Any recommendations? We are not fans of Japanese so much and my husband isn't crazy about Korean.

Thank you in advance.

new york
Level Contributor
910 posts
1,097 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnamese, Indian food?

ps should have added also seeking Thai

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnamese, Indian food?

Try posting on Chowhound. com

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,929 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnamese, Indian food?

A 15 minute walk the length of Denman Street will showcase every type of mom and pop restaurants of every style.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnamese, Indian food?

Most of the Vietnamese restaurants are in the east side of Vancouver. There's a bunch on Hastings St. between Victoria and Renfrew. The main Vietnamese area is on Kingsway between Fraser and Victoria.

Vancouver is also well known for it's Chinese food.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnamese, Indian food?

There are a couple of Vietnamese pho restaurants on the 1100 block Davie (downtown west end) avoid the one on Denman street. My favorite is the Pho Hoang on Main and 18th. There are hundreds of ethnic restaurants downtown. Just walk on Denman. Davie,and Robson streets. Try the Banana leaf on Denman, exellent Malaysian food. Kintaro, great Japanese, not the ubiquitous sushi and tempura crap that every city has. The Afghan Horseman.Some good Persian eateries in North Vancouver. Your posting asks if Vancouver is well represented in ethnic cuisine. You may be surprised and overwhelmed. Also read the reviews about Vij's. Some food critics have said it is the best Indian restaurant outside of India, but I'm sure that would be up for debate.

new york
Level Contributor
910 posts
1,097 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnamese, Indian food?

thank you this was very useful nyc mom

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnamese, Indian food?

Vancouvers old Chinatown is not really known as a destination to go to eat Chinese food. It basically shuts down in the evenings because it borders a sketchy area of town. We have a huge Asian population and all the good eateries are spread throughout the city. The airport city of Richmond is an enclave of Asian shopping malls and great restaurants. Google " Vancouver asian restaurant awards " if that's the proper term but I'm sure you'll find it.

Sun Sui Wah seafood restaurant is good. If you want an old cantonese style wonton house my favorite one is the On Lok on E.Hasings.Quick basic sevice with plump wontons and tasty dishes to share. Great prices as well. It's located in al blue collar working area of the city and the staff and clientele reflect that.

Also depending on when you are coming you must check out the Richmond night market. Hundreds of stalls, food and enertainment. There are actually two markets. Again refer to Google for info.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 21:26
new york
Level Contributor
910 posts
1,097 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnamese, Indian food?

thank you for mentioning night market, have never been to one!

how would you recommend getting there from a downtown hotel, thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnamese, Indian food?

After saying all that about the On Lok I followed the link to the reviews and there not great I havn't been in a while and I wonder if there's new owners, or if it's just had it's day. Been there for many years.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vietnamese, Indian food?

Take the Skytrain Canada line to Bridgeport station. That is the one for the Bridgeport road night market.The other is on vulcan way and you will have to tranfer to a bus from thre skytrain, I believe, from Richmond center? Anyways they are both huge. From 18th of May to October. Richmond night market 8351 River Rd. Summer Night Market = 12631 Vulcan Way See websites.