We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels & Gym Facilities... Parking

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
269 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels & Gym Facilities... Parking

Does anyone know about the gym facility at the pan pacific? I read a review that said it was awful -- accessed only through the parking garage. I wonder if this has been improved since that review.

To that end- do you know of a nice hotel with a nice gym? It may not be a make or break situation but my husband does like a decent facility.

Thanks!

We are preliminarily booked at the Sunset Inn - I know it's only a 2 1/2 star and I don't know what their gym facility looks like but we will have a car and they have free parking. I know a car isn't necessarily for normal touring but I suspect my husband will be up before daybreak and want to drive out of town to birdwatching areas before heading back into the city to have breakfast with me.

Now I am thinking about upgrading though I understand parking seems to be $35+ a night at better hotels which stings. If you know of a nice hotel with a reasonable parking rate -- I'd be grateful.

We'll be in town 3 nights in August following a cruise.

Thanks!

Rachel

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,795 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels & Gym Facilities... Parking

You have a pretty good deal at the Sunset Inn and Suites. Their FAQs say:

A: Our 24-hour fitness centre located off our lobby. This small facility includes an elliptical machine, treadmill, stationary bike, a yoga ball and some free-weights.

There is a Steve Nash Fitness centre just 5 min walk away on Howe at Davie, designed for the average person, with reasonable rates.

www.snclubs.com/clubs/70/howe-and-davie/

Not the same as in-hotel, that's true but parking here, all parking, is on the high side.

Edited: 21 April 2013, 20:19
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels & Gym Facilities... Parking

I'm a fan of the Sunset Inn, stayed there a couple of times and it's a great place to stay, but what they call their "fitness centre" really doesn't deserve that name.

Times Square Suites, on Robson and Denman, is also a very fine place to stay. Parking is cheap, $15 a day, and guests get a complimentary membershipcard for Denman Fitness for the duration of their stay. Denman Fitness is on Comox Street, about a 5 minute walk from TSS.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels & Gym Facilities... Parking

No clue about the gym facility at the Pan Pacific. Similar to mufti's recommendation, I was going to say that I have friends that rave about the gym at the newly-built YMCA Robert Lee facility, which is a 10 minute walk away from the Sunset Inn: http://www.vanymca.org/centres/robertlee/ Just another option. You'll discover once here that Vancouver's health-obsessed to the extreme. If your husband also enjoys running, make sure he gets out on the seawall - he'll be with dozens of other locals going for their daily jogs along the waterfront.

Also, if your husband's driving out to bird-watching areas, I would put the George C. Riefel Bird Sanctuary at the top of his agenda: http://www.reifelbirdsanctuary.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,795 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels & Gym Facilities... Parking

Good call, Robyn. I was down to the Reifel Sanctuary last weekend. A visitor might want to suss out the route on Google maps and jot down the streets to look out for on the way. The directional signage is just okay. The gates close at 5 so aim for 2:30/3:00 latest.

Maplewood Flats is a bird heaven too, important for its wetlands. On the 1st Saturday at 8 am, they do a bird count. On the 2nd Saturday at 10 am, expert birder Al Grass leads a nature walk. So two events to join, or perhaps avoid!

…wordpress.com/site-guides/…

I'll do a location map when I'm on my desktop.

So much for parking and gyms, eh!

Edited: 21 April 2013, 21:57
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels & Gym Facilities... Parking

BC_Robyn beat me to it. I'm a member of the YMCA on Burrard Street. It is a great facility with pool, gym, sauna,racquetball,yoga not to mention fantastic workout areas with a view. Free wi-fi and a juice/snack bar in the lobby.

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
269 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels & Gym Facilities... Parking

We may just stick with Sunset then if folks are happy with it - I'll have to find out how important the gym facility is to him - probably not too - Perhaps we'll use the savings for good meals instead.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,795 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels & Gym Facilities... Parking

http://goo.gl/maps/7CNBc

The above link shows Maplewood Flats and the parking loop for it. The whole chunk of natural land is conservancy land. There are also dolphins in the water there with sentinel seabirds perching to watch over their domain.

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
269 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels & Gym Facilities... Parking

Thanks for the birding links and references - I will pass them on but he is very tuned in to where to go and researches these things with his birding buddies ...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,795 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels & Gym Facilities... Parking

I thought as much, a birder does what a birder has to do. :-)

10. Re: Hotels & Gym Facilities... Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 05:16