We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train,Bus logistics for RAce day and sightseeing

Dublin, California...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train,Bus logistics for RAce day and sightseeing

Hi! I will be in vancouver for the marathon and sightseeing ,may 4-11. Heres my transportation logistics. I will be based @ Robson suites- 777 Bidwell Street. Ive never been to canada and am not familiar with the train systems. I tried to look at translink times and it confused me a little bit...I apologize in advance - i am really visual and gets easily confused w/o a map to look at. I know that canada line runs N-S and the other two runs E-W.

may 4 Arrival- Take Canada line to Vancouver City Centre station. I think the hotel is a 15 min walk from here. Also,I need to pick up my bib at the expo in Canada place. Is there a canada place stop or is this walking distance from robson suites?

may 5 -RACE DAY-Canada line- I know this metro line has two routes from downtown,

( to Richmond Centre and Airport. Signage on the cars will be either "Richmond/Brighouse - Waterfront" or "YVR/Airport - Waterfront".) Which car should i get on? I don't want to make the mistake of heading in the opposite direction.( This has happened to me before in previous travels)

PLAN- Take Vancouver city station to king edward station. Start line of the race is at Queen Elizabeth Park. I Plan on being at the train at 530 am. Race starts at 7 am.

Is it safe to walk from bidwell st to vancouver station @ 5 am? Is this the nearest canada line station from hotel?

may 7- Grouse mt/Lynn Canyon.- either the free grouse mtn shuttle bus from canada place ( i read this in frommers guidebook)Is there really a free shuttle?

or Cross burrard inlet via Seabus , bus 236 to lonsdale quay- (Thanks for theVery good info on the top questions on the right)

can i buy the seabus tickets and bus tickets on the day of or should i get it ahead of time?

may 9 -whistler-PAcific coast line from fairmont watrefront hotel @ Howe st. -1040 departure. Can i buy tickets on the day of travel? ( want to see if my legs can still handle whistler after a race) where can i buy tickets aside from online? ANy other transportation options that leave earlier?

I think the rest i can figure out when I get there...Thanks for any assistance!

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
British Columbia, Canada
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,900 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train,Bus logistics for RAce day and sightseeing

Mic. Our transit system is very similar to the Bay Area Bart, once you clear customs you'll walk straight out and a ross the street from arrivals you'll see the Canada Line. Buy a ticket and get on to train going to Waterfront. Get off at Vancouver Center and walk out to Granville st. You cam catch a bus # 19 to Stanley Park. Gt off at Georgia and Cardero. The driver will help you. You'll be very close to your hotel. You can either walk back or bus back to Canada Place to get your bib. About 15minute walk. On race day take sam Canada Line out to King Ed station. There is only one line so no worries. It splits off in Richmond. Way past your stop...if you get on going the wrong way the train will simply go to Waterfront then reverse..

Very safe to walk anywhere anytime. Yes there a free shuttle .

Mentioned in this post
Canada Line
Canada Line
82 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Richmond
Richmond
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train,Bus logistics for RAce day and sightseeing

You take the train one more stop to it's final destination at Waterfront. From Waterfront it's a 5 minute walk over to Canada Place. Usually there is staff at the platform but if there isn't you can ask someone on the train or at the concourse. You can take the train back to City Center (tickets are valid for 90 minutes).

Either destination will be fine, the train doesn't split until it gets to Richmond. It'll be safe to walk from hotel to the station. It's the closest station. The transit tickets are valid for both the bus and seabus and doesn't need to be bought in Advance.

www.translink.ca is our transit website.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,184 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train,Bus logistics for RAce day and sightseeing

Hi Mic ~

Okay we can get you oriented pretty quickly.

May 4: YVR to Waterfront Station + 300 metre walk to Canada Place for your bib, on Canada Line. Map for this - http://goo.gl/maps/Ek02y

After picking up bib, Canada Place to Robson Suites, walking. Map for this - http://goo.gl/maps/o4sSp

May 5, from Robson Suites to QE Park. To get to QE Park you can take either skytrain - direction Brighouse or YVR Airport. They don't split until much further south near the airport. I cannot combine walking and transit on Google Maps, so on the following map .... Walk from RSuites to Vancouver City Centre, maybe 25 minutes. Take Canada Line to King Edward Station. Then where the map shows you bus #33, just walk that route to balloon B. I got the start location from the marathon website map. It is safe to walk all over Vancouver. VCC Station will be the nearest station to RSuites. May 5 is on a weekend, so you would need $2.75 exact fare in coins to take transit to QE Park, ticket good for 90 minutes.

May 7, yes you can take the free shuttle to Grouse and Capilano Suspension bridge and ride with a whole bunch of other tourists who are not from Vancouver, or you can ride public transit to them, including Lynn Canyon. Just buy your bus ticket on the day of. May 7 is a weekday, so you would need $4.00 exact change in coins to take transit all the way to any of these destinations. Same ticket is good on bus, Seabus, and 3 skytrains for 90 minutes = the 2 east-west lines and Canada Line. (You're welcome.) On the bus, drop your coins into the fare box and a ticket will pop up. On the train and Seabus platforms, drop your money into the tix vending machine and a ticket will pop out.

May 9 to Whistler. Pacific Coach from the Fairmont Waterfront. I'd actually go to the Burrard Station bus stop on Melville @ Burrard. I'll show you below. Reservations are mandatory for this service. They will want to know their pax numbers so they can allow seats for everyone, or bring in a second bus if they need to.

From RSuites to Melville St PCL (and other coaches') bus stop: http://goo.gl/maps/hjQiq

What the coach stop looks like on Melville just off Burrard. The guy in the shorts is standing IN the coach stop: http://goo.gl/maps/ZBLNf

You could try Greyhound Canada's service, which leaves from Pacific Central Station, about 45 min? walk from RSuites. It's a walk up service. Plenty more departure time options: www.greyhound.ca . Or by bus, walk over to eastbound Georgia Street, and catch the #19 Metrotown Station bus to literally the front door of the bus station. Returning, catch the #19 Stanley Park bus from northbound Main St. to reverse the route. Map for this: http://goo.gl/maps/M48BO . At the right end of the destination fields there is a "reverse" icon to click for the return bus map.

Good luck in the Marathon. Hope it's good weather for you. That leg between Km 9 and 10 is a pretty good hill! :-( Zig zagging back and forth like a bike probably wouldn't be good for your time though. :-)

Edit: a feast of posts since I started typing!

Edited: 26 April 2013, 04:35
Mentioned in this post
Waterfront Station
Waterfront Station
81 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Canada Line
Canada Line
82 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Fairmont Waterfront
Fairmont Waterfront
3,565 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
The Burrard
The Burrard
1,846 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Pacific Central Station
Pacific Central Station
186 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,184 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train,Bus logistics for RAce day and sightseeing

May 5. For got to link the map for the route between Robson Suites, Canada Line, and the start of the Marathon. Forget what I said about bus #33.

http://goo.gl/maps/CoHRy

Mentioned in this post
Canada Line
Canada Line
82 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Dublin, California...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train,Bus logistics for RAce day and sightseeing

Forget Frommers, you guys are great! Thanks traveller,techboy and mufti. That makes me relax a little bit now that I have transit and race day logistics. Yes- I will skip the free shuttle and ride public transit instead. I don't really mind getting lost, I just cant afford to do it on race day. Now im properly oriented! Now lets hope my knee survives the hills:))

6. Re: Train,Bus logistics for RAce day and sightseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 05:16