We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to buy in Vancouver,Canada?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
S N
Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
What to buy in Vancouver,Canada?

An international travel who will visit Vancouver and stay there for a whole week needs some advice on shopping. Any local specialty to buy and bring home?

Thanks!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,686 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to buy in Vancouver,Canada?

Smoked salmon? Only I'd have it eaten before I even arrived at the airport! Even better, try some candied salmon. YUM!

You don't mention a budget or your interests, but there are some beautiful galleries offering some First Nations art work. You can purchase art work, or carvings, and jewelry. Make sure you are buying from a reputable store though, so you don't get "Made in ______" . Fill in the blank with anywhere but Canada....

Head to Gastown, Granville Island, and Robson street. Robson is just for great shopping period, not necessarily any souvenirs.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,081 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to buy in Vancouver,Canada?

If you do a search for souvenirs from vancouver, you will find a number of lengthy posts and threads on this very topic.

Robson Street is filled with typical chain stores you can find anywhere in North America - nothing unique there. As noted Granvile Island and Gastown have a number of interesting shops for travellers.

S N
Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to buy in Vancouver,Canada?

Sorry,I forget to mention.

Budget isn't unlimited, but I honestly haven't thought about it yet..

I am less interested in souvenirs, and more interested in practical products only can be found in Canada. Smoked salmon is awesome! I love food. If I could go to Italy, I would buy cheese and wine.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,686 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to buy in Vancouver,Canada?

Ice wine!!! Have you ever tried that? B. C. makes some pretty good wine, from the Okanagan Valley.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to buy in Vancouver,Canada?

Canadian whiskey, ice wine ,cider, Maple syrup or sugar, Indian candied salmon,,Cowichan sweaters, coffee crisp bars, Nanaimo bars, butter tarts, beaver bums.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to buy in Vancouver,Canada?

Just be thoughtful about some of the 'card table' vendors in the Public Market at Granville Island. Jewelry that I have purchased there have not maintained their quality. Silver got pitted and tarnished in a way that could not be cleaned away, gems (questionable) lost their lustre. Net Loft across the road would be the place to look.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to buy in Vancouver,Canada?

You may also want to try any one of Vancouver's farmer's markets. They mostly operate on the weekend, and it may require taking a trip out of the downtown core, but you'll find lots of locally made goods, from food (local produce, baked goods, chocolates, etc.) to artisan crafts (art, handicrafts, jewelry, soaps, candles, etc.)

I'm a big fan of the Shipyards Night Market in North Vancouver. It's just a short Seabus ride away from downtown. I love going there on a Friday night - you can forage for your meal amongst the many food trucks, and eat your dinner in full view of the Vancouver skyline. Then you can have a look at all the wares while listening to live music as the sun sets (weather permitting!)

Here's their Facebook page: https:/…vancouvergreenmarkets

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to buy in Vancouver,Canada?

BC bud famous yet infamous :)

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to buy in Vancouver,Canada?

We have been travelling to Canada for years and bring back various souvenirs, including ice wine and carvings such as Inuit masks and wall art.

Another favourite for gifts (we deliberately over buy in order that we plenty for ourselves!) is Rogers Chocolates.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to buy in Vancouver,Canada?

Go to Edible Canada at Granville Island - heaven for foodies. Here is their website. Browse their online store to view their products. http://www.ediblecanada.com/