We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection Time in Toronto - Final Destination YVR

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
411 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Connection Time in Toronto - Final Destination YVR

I am looking at flights from the US to YVR. Delta has a good fare with a connection via Toronto, but the connection time is only 1 hour 15 minutes. How is it possible to go through Canadian customs and immigration and get to the connecting gate in this time (assuming the flight from the US arrives on time to Toronto)? What am I missing?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Delta
Delta
British Columbia, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection Time in Toronto - Final Destination YVR

I personally wouldn't cut it that close. Leaves no margin for error.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection Time in Toronto - Final Destination YVR

It's possible if you've got a NEXUS card for fast border processing and are travelling with only carry-on bags -- and I'm sure there are frequent business travellers who meet both criteria. For the rest of us, the "minimum" connection times are often too tight for comfort. In this case, you'd probably be better off with two hours, or 90 minutes without checked bags.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection Time in Toronto - Final Destination YVR

The big answer is, it depends on your booking. There are two terminals in Toronto. Delta flies into Terminal 3. If your continuing flight to Vancouver is on WestJet, which also flies out of Terminal 3, you will have time to spare. You will need to clear Canadian customs upon arrival in Toronto, then you will need to collect your checked luggage at the carousel. You then enter security again, and re-check your bag. It sounds like quite a production, but it's all in a straight line and the whole thing doesn't take very long at all.

If your continuing flight to Vancouver is on Air Canada, you have a greater challenge, since they fly from Terminal 1. Once you collect your bag, you'll need to take a shuttle train to Terminal 1. This will add about 10 minutes, on average. From there, you'll need to clear security and recheck your bag. The western flights leave from the A or B end of the terminal (the aisles are identified by letter codes, to make it easier to navigate). You can make the connection doing the two-terminal hop, but you won't have a second to spare.

The positive is that both Air Canada and Westjet run flights between Toronto and Vancouver almost every hour or every 90 minutes. If you miss your flight, or if your inbound Delta flight is delayed, they will rebook you on the next one.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Delta
Delta
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,322 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection Time in Toronto - Final Destination YVR

I'm not fond of transiting Toronto airport. Sorry Toronto folks.

I see flights with a stop at Salt Lake City (Delta), Phoenix (US Airways) and Seattle (Alaska) which I would choose in a heartbeat over Toronto. Both SLC and PHX are a piece of cake to get around. Even paying a bit more, even adding time to the journey. Toronto takes energy to get around.

My 2 cents.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Delta
Delta
British Columbia, Canada
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection Time in Toronto - Final Destination YVR

I've done that connection twice from DC to YVR via Toronto. Carry on luggage. Missed both times. DD did it twice going east yvr to dc and yvr to norfolk. Missed it twice. Need I say more. Air Canada booked the connection all 4 times and said enough time. But it isn't. Plan on 2 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection Time in Toronto - Final Destination YVR

Thank you all for your replies! I agree - I need more time for that connection!

7. Re: Connection Time in Toronto - Final Destination YVR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 05:17