We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cellphone rental in Vancouver airport?

Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Cellphone rental in Vancouver airport?

Hi

Does anyone know if there is a stall in Vancouver airport international arrivals area where I can rent for 3weeks a cellphone that will work in Vancouver, Victoria and in the US (Seattle area)? My UK phone is on a different system.

NB I'm a cellphone dinosaur so don't understand complicated technical terms........

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,666 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cellphone rental in Vancouver airport?

No. Because it's cheaper to buy one.

Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cellphone rental in Vancouver airport?

Wow, that's a surprise. Two years ago I went to San Francisco and rented a cellphone for two weeks which was very affordable.

Is there a store in YVR airport where I can just show up and buy or do I need to order in advance?

Thanks in advance

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,321 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cellphone rental in Vancouver airport?

You'll find that mobile rates in Canada are very high compared to most places in the world.

Also - as Seattle is in the USA, roaming rates will probably apply.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cellphone rental in Vancouver airport?

I bet if you have an unlocked SIM card you can use a Canadian system now that the local carriers have changed to GSM. But...buying a prepaid phone works. So do the various VOIP systems like Skype/Viber/Magic Jack from the many free wi-fi zones around town. Then you just bring your smart phone and don't bother with a SIM.

Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cellphone rental in Vancouver airport?

Thanks for this, folks, but I did say I'm a dinosaur. Er, I don't have a smartphone. Back to the drawing board.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cellphone rental in Vancouver airport?

Your UK phone will likely work...costly but should work.

7. Re: Cellphone rental in Vancouver airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 05:17