We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver - Victoria - Seattle Itinerary

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leesburg, Virginia
14 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver - Victoria - Seattle Itinerary

I'm hoping to get some suggestions for a post-cruise itinerary. We arrive back in Vancouver at 7 am on July 24 and fly out of Seattle at 11:15 am on July 28. We plan to spend this limited time exploring Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle. This is our first trip to any of these cities. As far as transportation goes we plan to take Pacific Coach from Vancouver to Victoria and the Victoria Clipper to Seattle.

My question is how would you split up this time and where would your overnight stays be? Thanks in advance for your help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver - Victoria - Seattle Itinerary

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum ~

Ignoring your 4 night time frame, the general rule of thumb for this trifecta is 4 nights Vancouver, 2 nights Victoria, 3 nights Seattle. Try to stay in Seattle the night before your flight out rather than be taking the Clipper the day of. Some think it's an urban myth to not trust the ferry on the day of, but it's worth mentioning that from time to time ferry delays happen.

No other overnight stays are needed. About 4 hours from Van to Vic, including the ferry for PCL. About 3 hours for the Clipper.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,486 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver - Victoria - Seattle Itinerary

I honestly don't think you have time for all 3. You won't be off the cruise and to your hotel until close to lunchtime. You'll have the afternoon and the next morning to get a quick glimpse of Vancouver. Head to Victoria the middle of that afternoon and have dinner in Victoria. Next day touring Victoria and the late Clipper to Seattle. One full day in Seattle and you're done.

A more reasonable plan would be two days in Vancouver, take the train to Seattle and have two days there.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,573 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver - Victoria - Seattle Itinerary

Agree with Vancouverite skip Victoria as you'll really just be rushing everywhere.

Other wise

24-25 Vancouver

26 first Pacific Coach bus to Victoria giving you 3/4 of a day in Victoria

27 first Clipper to Seattle giving you afternoon and evening in Seattle

above also involves lots of packing/unpacking

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver - Victoria - Seattle Itinerary

I was thinking that you would take that template for nights and apply it to your situation according to your priorities. You might consider which city has more value for you: big city Vancouver or small, intimate Victoria. If Victoria, transfer immediately to Pacific Central Station to go to Victoria for 2 nights, then on to Seattle for 2. If Vancouver, then 2 nights, early morning Amtrak Cascades to Seattle for 2 nights. Either of those would give you at least a bit of time on the ground in 2 places.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,486 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver - Victoria - Seattle Itinerary

Yes, very true. At the end of the day, to have any value from two of your locations, one of them has to get the chop. Victoria is the most obvious one to cut because its quite out of the way, but if its important, then you will have to sacrifice either Vancouver or Seattle to make the time worthwhile.

Leesburg, Virginia
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver - Victoria - Seattle Itinerary

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of limiting our itinerary to two of the three places. That's the kind of input I was hoping to get. I prefer a more relaxed approach but my wife likes to see and do everything. We're friends with two couples - one from Vancouver and one from Seattle. We haven't solicited their advice yet but we will.

I'm inclined to cut out Victoria because of the extra travel time but I don't know what I'm missing. I've made all the arrangements for our Alaska cruise/excursions and this is the last part to come together.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,486 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver - Victoria - Seattle Itinerary

http://www.tourismvancouver.com

http://www.tourismvictoria.com

Both Vancouver and Victoria are good, and I'm a big fan of the trip to Victoria. I love getting out on the water (but as you will have been on a cruise, that will be less important to you). But the two cities are very different with their own distinct character. Perhaps you can browse the two tourism websites I've linked here and see which one is more your style to help with your decision.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver - Victoria - Seattle Itinerary

We are taking a BC Ferry (no car) from Vancouver to Victoria for the second part of our stay. The rental agency we booked with in Victoria said to take the 1 pm ferry and that it would take around 2 hours (including boarding on/off ferry). When I called the ferry company to pre-purchase tickets, I was told those were only sold if traveling with a car. We want to make sure to make the ferry so please advise when we should arrive to the terminal to get our tickets for the 1 pm trip? Thanks in advance for any advice or tips!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,573 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver - Victoria - Seattle Itinerary

promopro you might be better served by a thread of your own as Bill will be getting notifications that don;t respond to his own question ;)

having said that my question to you is how are you planning on getting to the ferry terminal? you can either take public transit or the Pacific Coach bus line both of which are covered in top questions. if you want to make the 1 pm ferry then you'd best leave where ever you're staying by 11:15 at the very latest hard to say without knowing where you're coming from. For Pacific Coach you would be on their bus departing at 11:45 so be at the bus station by 11:15. The actual ferry crossing time is about 1.5 hours but total travel time between Vancouver and Victoria is closer to 4 hours

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver - Victoria - Seattle Itinerary

Yep, not really a good idea to run two conversations on one thread. Happy to help on a new thread! :-)

Edited: 05 June 2013, 20:24