We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget accommodation July 2013

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Budget accommodation July 2013

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of budget accommodation in Vancouver? Ideally I only wanted to pay $40-$45 per night and even the youth hostels seem more expensive.

Any suggestions or is this not possible in Vancouver?

Thanks

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,344 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget accommodation July 2013

The app called "Hotel Tonight" has the Ramada Downtown at $89 plus tax (14% I think) and that's about as cheap as you will find.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,311 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget accommodation July 2013

Is that for more than one person? Most hostel dorm accommodation is $25 - $35 per person. couchsurfing.com might be your answer.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,357 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget accommodation July 2013

For a budget hotel room, this is not possible in Vancouver or even the surrounding communities..

Hostelling Internatinal Downtown (on Burnaby St - a good location) has shared rooms for under $50. It is the one I would recommend over the Granville St location because it has more amenities and is in a quieter location.

hihostels.ca/westerncanada/…

If you find something at that price independently of this forum, post the name and address here for comments.

Forest Park...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget accommodation July 2013

My boyfriend and I will be in Vancouver in a couple of weeks and are staying at the Patricia Hotel on Hastings Street for four nights. There are definitely rooms in your price range. Now I know there are folks out there that will say "OMG - that area is really sketchy!" and it is true that many of the local residents there are not pillars of the community, but if you are a seasoned budget traveler, as I am, you are used to give and take. That said, I used to live in Portland and traveled to Vancouver quite a bit. I stayed at the Patricia Hotel a couple of times back then - by myself - single female in her 30's - and had no issues there. Given the area you obviously have to keep your eyes open, but if you are street smart and hold no pretenses, you should be fine. The rooms are bare bones, but clean and serve their purpose. The best part for me is you have your own bathroom which is why I don't care to stay in hostels. Good luck to you!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget accommodation July 2013

The Patrica & environs is a dickensian horror story.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget accommodation July 2013

The bums under the Georgia street viaduct may rent you a cardboard box to sleep in for that price.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 18:23
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget accommodation July 2013

Check out UBC residences. They rent out rooms of various (dorm-style to private) during the summer when students are off. There are buses that run from there to get to downtown, Yale, etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,158 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget accommodation July 2013

Esther....Vancouver is not a budget destination. $40 isn't going to get you anything.

Forest Park...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget accommodation July 2013

To each their own SamSalmon. BTW, when was the last time you stayed at the Patricia? You seem to know quite a bit about it.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 14:25
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget accommodation July 2013

I live here-I don't stay in fleabag doss houses.

However as it happens I was on the corner of Dunlevy & Hasting St yesterday afternoon right beside the Paticia taking pictures of the unique road structure-did you know that were end grain old growth slabs of wood used in constructing Dunlevy?

I then ordered two veggie sandwiches from the Vietnamese place kitty corner to the hotel and cycled over 2 blocks to Oppenhiemer Park to eat them.

Sadly when I went to sit on the grass I noticed someone had dropped a large clasp knife by the tree so I quietly made my exit to a more salubrious location-not easy to find in the pit of inequity.

So I know this city of old-lived here long before you were born in fact-if I say a neighbourhood isn't suitable for visitors that's because it isn't.