We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Vancouver to Victoria

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Topic
Bus from Vancouver to Victoria

We were planning on taking the BC Ferry from Vancouver to Victoria, but it seems a bit of a chore due to the ferries not being in the city center for either city. There are a couple of bus options that seem more travelers-with-heavy-luggage-friendly. I think one company is called Pacific Coach Line and another is Moose Travel something(?). Does anyone know of an advantage over choosing one company over another for taking a bus from Vancouver to Victoria? The cost is not of concern unless one option is twice as much as another. We don't want to change buses - get on in Vancouver and get off in Victoria. And we really want the total travel time not to take four hours. Thanks for any suggestions or tips anyone can share!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,797 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Vancouver to Victoria

With Moose you're paying for a 4 day tour. It's an HOHO idea, but you're paying for 4 days.

http://www.moosenetwork.com/content.php?id=9

With Pacific Coach, you're paying for a Point A to Point B service. Pacific Central Station in downtown Vancouver to the bus depot in downtown Victoria.

pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coach-Travel/Crosswater…

There is no way to avoid the 4 hours journey unless you fly. It takes 30-40 min in advance to walk up and buy your coach ticket, an hour to get to the ferry terminal, then a 90 min sail, then 45 min to get into Victoria on the other side. Your luggage goes in the hold for the journey. Pacific Coach runs every two hours.

So if you want to catch the 9 am ferry, you need to be buying your ticket downtown Vancouver before 7 am.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,762 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Vancouver to Victoria

Pacific Coach ia an excellent service. Downtown to Downtown. Solid and reliable.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Vancouver to Victoria

Thanks for the info. I must have been dreaming there was some non-existent bridge that would make the trip quicker... I'm not sure of the advantage of adding the cost of the bus trip to the ferry ride since we're not saving any time. I guess I can check the taxi fares to the ferry departure/arrival and then check them to catch the bus downtown. I'm guessing it will be a wash or close to it.

If we want to arrive in downtown Victoria around 3 pm, should we be on the 12 noon or 1 pm ferry from Vancouver? The condo check-in there is not until 4 pm.

Edited: 25 June 2013, 02:30
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Vancouver to Victoria

How about flying on a seaplane?

www.harbourair.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,797 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Vancouver to Victoria

You can take public transit from Vancouver to the ferry terminal and then from the other ferry terminal into Victoria.

For $5.50 or $2.75, depending on the day, you could take the Canada Line to Bridgeport Station, transfer to the #620 Tsawwassen ferry terminal bus. This takes an hour. Walk on the ferry for $15.50. On the other side right outside the tix office at the curb, you need to take the #70 Victoria for an hour and $2.50 into Victoria.

A taxi from Vancouver to Tsawwassen would cost about $85 plus tip. On the other side, from Swartz Bay to Victoria would cost about $75 plus tip.

I would go to Victoria as early as you can. You will be able to go to your hotel, let them know you are there and they will hold your luggage until later when you check in. Try to get the most out of your time there. You could see a few things between arriving at about 12h20 compared to 3h20 or so.

PCL might be the go. Don't forget that you go up on deck once the coach drives on the ferry for the 90 minutes to walk on the outdoor promenade deck, look for whales and eagles, sit in the lounges, have a bite to eat/drink in the cafeteria, listen to the ship's whistle when it goes through Active Pass. So it wouldn't be a full 4 hours on a bus.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,762 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Vancouver to Victoria

It's 27 miles of ocean. So that would be a LONG bridge.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Vancouver to Victoria

A bridge from southern Vancouver Island to the BC mainland would be the longest bridge over water in the world, if it existed.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,004 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Vancouver to Victoria

The PCL bus fare includes the cost of the ferry. Its a gorgeous trip through the islands and well worth the price. And it IS a long way.

PCL is very relaxing and easy. Flying makes it quick and easy. Take your pick.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,797 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Vancouver to Victoria

With PCL, the coach fare and ferry fare are found separately through their own links. Then you pay both to PCL when you buy your ticket.

pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coach-Travel/Crosswater…

On the left of the above webpage you will see a link to "Fares." This will give you the coach fare. Below that link it says "Travelling with Pacific Coach." This will give you the additional ferry fare. And that layout is much easier than the last peak-a-boo layout they had.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from Vancouver to Victoria

My husband doesn't do well on small boats or small planes - even with anti-nausea meds. Otherwise, we'd definitely do the seaplane. He wants to do the PCL that goes on the ferry just so we don't have to deal with our luggage on the ferry.

We can't check in earlier than 4 pm as there is someone departing the rental unit we booked the day we arrive. We're staying in Victoria for five nights so there is no reason to rush and get up extra early on the only day we can sleep in slightly.

Thanks to all for the help! I'm going to book the PCL trip and mark that off my vacay to-do list ;)