We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Vancouver in November

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle to Vancouver in November

My husband & I are going to Seattle for a work conference for me. I plan to arrive fri 11/1 or sat 11/2 and must be present on Wed11/6 at conference. We would like to see Seattle: Gourmet Food Tour; Pike Place Market; Space Needle/Seattle Center; ferry to Bainbridge Island; Mt Ranier day trip; Snoqualmie Falls; Underground tour thru Pioneer Square, original Starbucks. In Vancouver: Stanley Park, Capileno Suspension Bridge/Grouse mtn; Whistler day trip- ?Butchart Gardens/City highlights tour; trolley attractions tour; Grandville island Public Mkt.

Concern is it's November- unsure if all this is operational/feasible? We plan to be there 7-9 days but actually could take more days if advised. Then there is ?Victoria. We would love to see Orca's.

to complicate matters, I have the choice between a marathon on sat,11/2 in Kent,Wa or sat 11/9 in Bothell, Wa so 4 days to either side of the Wed required conference attendance. I'm trying to figure out logistics of travel, planning, etc. Currently I have a hotel booked 11/2-11/8 at Grand hyatt Seattle just to have something near conference- that can be changed. We are 50's, outdoorsy, not big shoppers, athletic. please help

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Vancouver in November

Butchart gardens are just outside Victoria not Vancouver

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,823 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Vancouver in November

November is ok for your plans. No crowds. Cheap hotels. Probably grey skies and rain about 5 to 10 C or 40-50F. Victoria adds a day each way and Butchart will not be in its glory in November. Orcas tours will be limited. I'd scratch Victoria.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,427 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to Vancouver in November

With the time you have, Vancouver will keep you busy enough. From Vancouver to Victoria is a four hour trip, one way, so I would agree with AlegreVancouver, drop Victoria!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,625 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to Vancouver in November

I am actually quite confused. You will be arriving Seattle maybe Nov 1st, maybe the 2nd. Maybe running a marathon on the 2nd. Must show up for a conference on the 6th.

So with a max of 5 nights (nights of Nov 1-5, with 5 being back in Seattle) want to visit 3 cities. You don't need a car for any of it. Amtrak Cascades takes 4 hours up from Seattle. 3-4 nights for Vancouver. Pacific Coach Lines take 4 hours from Van to Victoria. 2 nights for Victoria. The Victoria Clipper pax only takes 3 hours from Vic to Seattle. 3 nights in Seattle. These are reasonable amounts of nights to visit each location.

Maybe decide on your priorities and do more with less.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 18:42
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle to Vancouver in November

Mt. Rainier is a bad idea in November. The visibility will be poor to nonexistent, and the weather will be wet, cold, and windy. If you have never visited the PNW, you will be astonished at how little daylight there is in November. Dusk arrives at 4:30 pm. Take this destination off your list and apply the time saved to other sites. As MuftiMixandMatch has said, you really are trying to do too much in too short a time.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,152 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle to Vancouver in November

I think the OP means they are in Seattle until the 8th and then can add on days after that for Vancouver and or Victoria.

So fly into Seattle on the 1st and do the marathon on the 2..then 3-4-5 for Seattle and environs I did one of the food tours in April and it was really great fun and excellent food. (I did a short TR so you could find it by clicking on my name.)

6-7-8 conference

on the 9th take train to Vancouver.. amtrak is easy and scenic ( assuming it's not pouring and too overcast) as noted November is very dark here sunrise about 8 am sunset by 4:30 and usually rain.

Skip Capilano.. do Lynn Canyon..nice even in the rain. You'll need to be prepared with gortex and good waterproof shoes/light hikers.

Rent bikes and do Stanley park. Granville Island will be fun Grouse will only be good if it's clear otherwise a waste of money. Whistler good for a day trip. I'd stick with Vancouver and pass on Victoria unless you really add a lot more days. Figure 9-10-11-Vancouver with a day trip to Whistler.

12 th train back to Seattle and fly out or fly into Seattle and out of Vancouver

Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle to Vancouver in November

This is great! I now know how to pare down my wish list and can finally have a plan. sorry for any confusion...yes, Traveller47, that's exactly what I was trying to say. If I follow your schedule, will we be able to stay at one base hotel in Vancouver. If so, any suggestions for hotel? We like nice hotels and are looking forward to really good food.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,152 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle to Vancouver in November

check the hotels on the top of the Vancouver forum. there are lots of great ones and November will be low season. You should be aware that Nov 11 is a holiday here and some things will be closed ( but not stores) It's Remembrance Day similar to Veteran's Day in the US. as for restaurants you're going to have a problem as there are far too many!!!

Hotels I like are Metropolitan, Wedgewood, Sutton Place.. the Loden gets good reviews ( I haven't stayed there) Fairmont has 3 hotels here and I think the Fairmont Pacific Rim was just voted one of the top hotels in Canada. Opus in Yaletown is trendy and near some good restaurants.

You'll want to start a different thread for food suggestions.. this is a foodie town as is Seattle so you're in for a good time.

. Vancouver is compact, walkable, good transit and no need to move hotels at all.

Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle to Vancouver in November

Thanks so much for all the wonderful advice. One last thing for now...Just to confirm, we don't need a car for the above schedule t47 proposed unless we rent it for the day trip to Whistler? We are flying in from the east coast to Seattle. I know from Seattle thread they say no car while there.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,152 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle to Vancouver in November

Definitely no car except if you rent for day trip to Whistler. Walking, bikes, transit, even the odd cab. A car is a hindrance here. Parking is very expensive and that's where the car will be...parked.

Vancouver is compact. You can walk the downtown core ( which is on a peninsula) east to west in about 40 minutes and north south in about 30 minutes. You'll be pleasantly surprised here.

Easy public transit to both Lynn Canyon and Grouse...look in Top Questions Vancouver forum for exact bus #

Also bike rental under convention center as well as on Denman St.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 15:44