We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Granville Island

Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
23 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Granville Island

I am staying at the Pan Pacific Hotel, and I would like to get to the ferry to Granville Island. Is this ferry route 3? Can I get to the sky train and then walk to the Science Center? Is there another stop or a bus I need to take? Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,578 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Granville Island

Hi phimumom ~

You can take the skytrain (either Expo Line or Millenium line from the same Waterfront Station) to Main Station and then walk to the harbour ferry dock near Science World. See this map which is set on the public transit setting.

www.markjamesgroup.com/flyingbeaver.html

If you use that dock for the harbour ferry, it will be about 20 minutes to ride to Granville Island. That's not a bad idea actually as it keeps you to one skytrain ride and lets you see the city from the water for a while.

For an alternate route, look on that same map above. You can see the dotted blue line going across False Creek from Granville Island to David Lam Park. From there walk just a couple of blocks to Roundhouse-Yaletown Station for the Canada Line down to Waterfront Station and the 300 metre walk back to the Pan Pacific. Maybe go thta way on the way back.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Granville Island

I think for the two fares a cab may be about the same especially if there are more than two of you. You could also walk straight down Howe st and look for the Hornby dock to Granville island. Also a 20 minute walk.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,356 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Granville Island

Hey Mufti....you kinda posted a link to The Flying Beaver instead of the map you wanted in post #1.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,578 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Granville Island

dagnabbit! What day is it again? :-( Thanks, d.

Here is the public transit route map for post 1.

http://goo.gl/maps/FaCr7

Edited: 05 August 2013, 22:56
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Granville Island

Just to avoid confusion, those little boats are often called water taxis, not ferries. Ferries take you to Vancouver Island. Water taxis take you to Granville Island. Aquabus or False Creek Ferries are the two water taxi companies that depart from the False Creek waterfront downtown, taking you across to Granville Island in a matter of minutes.

From the Pan Pacific Hotel, you could take the Canada Line to the Yaletown Roundhouse station, two stops (approx 6 minutes) away. From Yaletown Roundhouse, you'd just walk a few minutes east down Davie Street to the Yaletown Marina where you can board either the Aquabus or False Creek Ferries. This is the longer (but scenic) water taxi route to Granville Island - the journey taking closer to 10 minutes one way.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 06:14
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,578 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Granville Island

I don't like confusion either, especially when it comes to word usage.

A ferry is a shuttle. It can transport people, freight or cars. It goes back and forth on a fixed route or routes. Examples are the airport hotel shuttles and BC Ferries, Hell's Gate Tram.

A water taxi is a one way mover. Like a taxi cab, it picks up people or goods at point A when hired, takes them to their choice of destination and drops them off at point B, then looks for another fare. It does not operate on fixed routes or have fixed schedules. An example is Horseshoe Bay water taxi that picks up people at Horseshoe Bay and drops them at Gambier Island or wherever they have hired the taxi to take them. It must then look for the next fare.

Our harbour ferries do not fit the definition of a taxi. Actually, the word ferry appears in the name of GI Ferries. People here call the harbour ferries lots of different names... foot ferries, passenger ferries, maybe more. As long as people know that there is a difference in definition and they are not taxis.

So ... not to argue, but to stand up for correct usage.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Granville Island

I understand what you're saying, but I'll clarify what I originally meant: I'm referring to colloquial usage of the word "ferry" around Vancouver. When you ask about ferries in Vancouver, people automatically assume you're talking about the BC Ferries. If you ask where the ferries are to random person on the street, they'll tell you how to get to Tsawwassen or Horseshoe Bay. When you ask about ferry routes, people assume you're talking BC Ferries routes. That's what I meant by avoiding confusion.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 14:09
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Granville Island

Even local cab drivers refer to the False Creek boats as water taxis.

9. Re: Ferry to Granville Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 06:20