We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healthy Dining Out

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Healthy Dining Out

Looking for suggestions of places around Vancouver where you can dine out on a budget but also healthy. Salads, lean meats, etc. Any suggestions?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Healthy Dining Out

try the Agro cafe on Granville Island. Very good food and very cheap by Vanc standards.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Healthy Dining Out

What is "a budget" to you? Are we talking $8.00 a meal, or $15.00?? I still like White Spot. Call it a chain if you want, it's still very good IMHO!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Healthy Dining Out

Thanks for the suggestions.

J0an123, under $15 but healthy. White Spot does have some good options. We have been on the road a lot lately with wedding planning & trying to lose weight while eating out is nearly impossible. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Healthy Dining Out

Ate sushi yesterday with a friend and it was around $20 for two. Bowls of Pho are around $6-8 each. Chinese food is mostly healthy as long as you avoid the ones with a lot of sauce/gravy. Plate of chow mein/fried rice is $8-12 depending on the restaurant.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
289 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Healthy Dining Out

Yeah, depends on how you define 'dining out' and 'budget'. Take out / hole in the wall stuff is pretty easy to find, especially for lunch. A banh mi or a 6 pc California roll is under 4 bucks (sometimes under 3), or some salad rolls or a bowl of pho for under 6. Can you tell I rely on Vietnamese food when I'm feeling frugal?

If you're looking for real restaurants/bars, I like using …wordpress.com/happy-every-day/ Click on the Happy Hours drop down menu at the top, and you can see lists by day. Not all of it's wing & burger specials, most of the good deals are Sun-Thurs.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Healthy Dining Out

Had lunch at my local Indian restaurant today. $10.50 for lamb curry, 1 piece of tandoori chicken, salad, rice and 3 pieces of naan. Yes it was a lot of carbs but very filling. I think if you go for ethnic restaurants, you will find more reasonable prices.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Healthy Dining Out

Thanks guys. While budget is an issue, I'm more concerned with healthy/low cals. I love indian food but it's not great for my waist & with a wedding approaching I have to be careful.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Healthy Dining Out

Salads aren't guaranteed to be healthy. You have to watch what dressing you put on it, some are really calorie laden. This might sound obvious but the only real way to lose weight is healthy eating and exercise.

9. Re: Healthy Dining Out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 06:18