We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Vancouver to Whistler then Whistler to Kelowna

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling Vancouver to Whistler then Whistler to Kelowna

December 2013 we arrive on an international flight to Vancouver at 12.45pm and want to travel to Whistler on the same day. We have been advised to travel by greyhound but upon proceeding with a booking we were advised they do not pick up from the airport.

Please help: 1. Is greyhound the best option? If so 2. what is the cheapest option to get to downtown Vancouver? 3. What time bus would we catch from downtown Vancouver to Whistler allowing for going thru customs and travelling downtown?

After a week at Whistler we are travelling to Kelowna to spend time with friends in Big White and then returning to Vancouver after 10 days. 1a. Are we best to catch a bus from whistler, change at Downtown Vancouver and get a connecting bus to Kelowna? if so 2a. Is this same day service available? 3a, Who would you recommend? or 4a. Catch a bus from Whistler to Vancouver Airport and Fly to Kelowna? We have Friends picking us up from Kelowna. Sorry for all the questions - My daughter and friend are first time travellers and really want the best - easiest option for them also keeping in mind they are on a budget. Thank you for your help

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,552 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Vancouver to Whistler then Whistler to Kelowna

You may get the Canada Line right outside the airport. It will take you right downtown.

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=iItineraryDetail&.s=30d8a214&useGoogleMap=1&StartDisplay=YVR-AIRPORT+STATION%2C+GRANT+MCCONACHIE+WAY%2C+RICHMOND&EndDisplay=GREYHOUND+STATION+-+VANCOUVER%2C+STATION+ST%2C+VANCOUVER&ItinSummary=980%2C++999&Start=YVR-AIRPORT+STATION%2C+GRANT+MCCONACHIE+WAY%2C+RICHMOND&End=GREYHOUND+STATION+-+VANCOUVER%2C+STATION+ST%2C+VANCOUVER&StartGeo=YVR-AIRPORT+STATION%2C+GRANT+MCCONACHIE+WAY%2C+RICHMOND%3B-123179656

I hope this link works... it was very long! anyway, I used 2:00 for your departure, just guessing a time for customs, and then I used tomorrow's date, but do get on the site and fool around with times yourself to see what works.

After Whistler, you would return to Vancouver, and then travel from there to Kelowna.

How much luggage will they have? Will they be packing skis as well? The Canada Line may not be that easy, but I have seen people get on there with bikes, golf clubs, and LOTS of luggage!

Greyhound has all kinds of different rates, if you buy in advance, if you are a student, if you buy one week before departure..... Do check their website and see what works best for timing.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Vancouver to Whistler then Whistler to Kelowna

Hi Marie here at Tourism Whistler

2 options for YVR to Whistler

1. Take Pacific Coach Lines from YVR to Whistler. Reservations needed. $58 one way

2. Take the Skytrain from YVR to Main Street (requires change at Waterfront Station). Cost $9.00. You would then walk from Main Street station to Pacific Central Station (about 3 mins) and catch Greyhound to Whistler. I think one way tickets are about $25.

You can view timetables on line for both services.

You could take the Greyhound from Whistler to Kelowna (via Vancouver) - quickest journey is 7 hours 40 mins. Leaves Whistler at 10am arrives Kelowna at 5.40pm. This would be cheapest option. See http://greyhound.ca/

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,552 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Vancouver to Whistler then Whistler to Kelowna

My link didn't work, use this one! http://www.translink.ca/ Couldn't edit as Marie came to the rescue!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Vancouver to Whistler then Whistler to Kelowna

Thank you very much to you both for your assistance. I will book Pacific Coachlines from Vancouver to Whistler I think for the sake of $20 odd dollars it will be less stressful for them. We will then book greyhound with your recommended time Marie. Thank you to both of you. You have been more informative than Greyhound or Pacific Coach lines.

One more question.

They will be spending their last night in vancouver so they might travel the skytram back to the airport. Do they need to make a reservation for this journey or just turn up on the day and purchase a ticket?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Vancouver to Whistler then Whistler to Kelowna

Skytrain is public transit. No reservations. Just buy a ticket and go.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 15:42
6. Re: Travelling Vancouver to Whistler then Whistler to Kelowna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 05:18