We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grouse grind

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Topic
Grouse grind

Outside magazine just named the grind one of the 10 most dangerous hikes in the world, what an absolute crock, its not even the most dangerrous in the Lower Mainland

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grouse grind

I believe they based it on the number of rescues they've had to do from the track, so popularity is a big part of it. It's pretty well known, but I imagine there would be heaps of people having a go who are nowhere near prepared enough.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grouse grind

It's ridiculous.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grouse grind

I have seen some of the local news coverage on the magazine's report. Apparently, the magazine mentions that there were three deaths on the grouse grind last year. However, when this was investigated, it was found that two of the deaths resulted from heart attacks by 50+ year old men who were not in a condition to do a strenuous hike and one resulted from an avalanche at a time when the trail was closed to hikers and the person in question should not have been on it in the first place.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grouse grind

Global TV interviewed a 5 year old who emerged at the top. He said it didn't seem any big deal for him.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grouse grind

Can't you just see it! Avid readers of Outdoor Magazine coming to the conclusion that coming to Vancouver is worth it after all...since there is this awesome dangerous extreme hiking experience.

Then, when they arrive, full of excitement for this amazing adventure, they find themselves on the Grouse Grind with a couple of hundred people, cheek to jowl, with the guy next to them in a suit because he just left a convention, a woman ahead in flip flops, two kids running up the side who are maybe 5 or 6, and a young guy behind with a one and a half year old strapped on his back.

Yep...I'd call that dangerous! Common now! If things got really bad you could stub a toe...or worse...break a nail!

Edited: 17 August 2013, 05:15
CAN
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grouse grind

Just did the grind for the first time with no prior hiking or mountain experience. There is a well worn path to follow and steps built to help you go up. I would not call it dangerous at all.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grouse grind

The Grouse Grind used to be a hike but due to it's popularity, the trail has been worn down due to erosion. It's more a giant stair master now since the whole thing is pretty much steps all the way up.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grouse grind

Alegre - I saw that report on Global too. The guy telling the story of the hiker he saw wearing stilettos once - and the hiker even made it to the first quarter mark but little Hudson was a cutie. I hope he gets to do it again soon.

globalnews.ca/news/…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grouse grind

I'll argue that the Grouse Grind is one of the lousiest hikes because it's an endurance test (nonstop stairclimbing for 90 minutes), rather than a scenic leisure path through the forest. The Vancouver region has hundreds of better hikes for those looking to connect with nature, or for those seeking scenic hikes, but since the Grouse Grind continually gets media attention, people will always feel compelled to do it as if it's THE thing to do. It's not.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 00:29
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grouse grind

I'm with Robyn....boring, brutal hike (if you can call it that)...done it many times, never looking to go back...too many other amazing hikes in BC